You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-06 18:32:17

Insight_45

UDEV ? but how to ...

I checked the howto, forum threads,.. but I just can not seem to have it running.
I have everything up to date with pacman (initscripts, udev, ...)

When I try to boot from the entry called ARCHNODEVFS which uses the line devfs=nomount, the system reboots endlessly with the note that it can not get an initial console

When I boot the the ARCH entry, the system boots correctly but I see the DEVFS is used.

I was trying to get the UDEV to work thinking that it will be better at handling the usb camera while it can be plugged and unplugged in the same session and it only works once. The other times, it appears under a new name into the /dev folder

Here are my config files:

FSTAB
=====
none                   /proc          proc      defaults                0      0
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults              0      0
none                   /dev/shm     tmpfs     defaults              0      0
tmpfs                  /tmp           tmpfs     defaults               0      0
#sysfs                 /sys             sysfs     defaults                0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb usbfs    defaults,devmod=0666 0      0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cd       iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide 0      0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1     /mnt/dvd     iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide 0      0
/dev/floppy/0                /mnt/fl         vfat    user,noauto,unhide    0      0

/dev/discs/disc1/part3 /                ext3     defaults             0      1
/dev/discs/disc1/part1 /boot         ext2     defaults             0      1
/dev/discs/disc1/part2 swap          swap     defaults             0      0

/dev/discs/disc0/part1 /mnt/windows  ntfs rw,user,umask=002,gid=100  0    0
/dev/discs/disc0/part5 /mnt/data        ntfs rw,user,umask=002,gid=100  0    0

/dev/sda1              /mnt/camera vfat rw,users,noauto,sync,umask=000  0 0

LILO.CONF
=====
boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc

default=arch
timeout=50
lba32
prompt
bitmap=/boot/insight.bmp
bmp-colors=0,11,9,15,3,7
bmp-table=250p,150p,1,18
bmp-timer=250p,350p,3,8,1

image=/boot/vmlinuz26
        label=arch
        root=/dev/discs/disc1/part3
        read-only

other=/dev/discs/disc0/part1
        label=WinXP

image=/boot/vmlinuz26
        label=archNoDvFs
        root=/dev/discs/disc1/part3
append="devfs=nomount"
        read-only

RC.CONF
=========
MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi ppp_generic e1000 soundcore snd_ac97_codec snd-intel8x0 snd_pcm_oss ltmodem ltserial visor)

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd hotplug !pcmcia network netfs crond alsamixer cups adsl autofs firestarter apcups)

RC.LOCAL
==========
mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

mknod /dev/usb/scanner0 c 180 48
chmod 0666 /dev/usb/scanner0

Some of the lines in the filesI have written without really knowing what I was doing, trying to get things to work and cloning what I found on the net.
My machine is dualboot with:
XP (two partitions on a disk,window$ system and personal data)
and Arch (two partitions, boot and root on a separate disk from window$)

#2 2005-01-06 18:50:32

xerxes2
Website

Re: UDEV ? but how to ...

are you running arch' default rc.sysinit and not a homemade one?
other than that it looks ok to me.

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2005-01-06 19:19:41

Insight_45

It is surely the original (I have not touched this file) I appear to have only one file name rc.sysinit and the modification date is November 23 2004.

here is an excerpt of the first few lines where devfs is mentioned:

# mount /proc and /sys
mount -n -t proc none /proc
[ "`grep sysfs /proc/filesystems`" ] && mount -n -t sysfs none /sys

if [ -e /dev/.devfsd -a -x /sbin/devfsd ]; then
# Looks like devfs is running, use it
status "Starting DevFS Daemon" /sbin/devfsd /dev
elif [ -x /etc/start_udev -a -d /sys/block ]; then
# We have a start_udev script and /sys appears to be mounted, use UDev
status "Starting UDev Daemon" /etc/start_udev
else
# Static /dev, our last resort
status "Using static /dev filesystem" /bin/true /dev/.devfsd
fi

Could I just delete the file named  /dev/.devfsd. I dought it.
Could it be the INITRD that is already using the devfs?

Thanks for helping me.

#4 2005-01-06 20:26:53

IceRAM
Website

I spent my entire last night (until 5am) to make it work. Troubleshooting seems to be missing from the Udev Wiki. It also set me on panic like never before in my entire when I saw my /home data gone (fortunately, I found out minutes later, after I calmed down, that it didn't mount properly because of a new naming scheme).

It is on my plans to update to Wiki with my early morning experience, but I can't log in.

Here's a link to a page which helped me pass the "initial console" problem: http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshel … l#consnull
I basically booted the Arch CD, mounted the root partition, chroot-ed, cd to /dev, created static node /dev/console (I replaced /dev/null also, as it is mentioned there).

Enjoy.

#5 2005-01-06 21:28:09

Insight_45

I read quickly your page. It is complexe for my present knowledge. I will need to re-read it again.

But, YES, I created both console and null entries in dev and now booting with the UDEV works. I see the message while booting: Starting..Udev demon.. [done] instead of the dvfs I use to see.

Thank you very much!!

#6 2005-01-07 11:16:20

tmadhavan

Did you run lilo after editing lilo.conf?

#7 2005-01-07 15:45:27

Insight_45

Yes I did every time I had modified the file.

It was actually the first time I had thought of making a secondary entry for booting. Before, I would just modify the entry, and would not have been able to boot anymore. With all the consequences to bring things up (for a novice, it's panic time)

So this time, I was still able to use the devfs entry, until the udev one worked

#8 2005-01-07 21:39:18

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If it's a problem with not having device files, try reinstalling the udev package.  It contains a migrate-udev script that creates the three needed device files for you.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2005-01-08 22:12:48

Insight_45

I did update the udev, probably three times. I suppose that something went wrong with the device creation as it was not done.

Does the script run while the Devfs is running. I had tried to create the files manually while I was logged as root, but it was not possible as they where used. I really had to do it while being not logged into the system as per IceRAM wrote, after booting from a CD.

Thanks.

#10 2005-01-09 19:49:24

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Check the script, it mounts your / partition without anything else.  It accesses your hard disk instead of accessing your /dev directory.  I read about that method in a gentoo forum before creating the script.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#11 2005-01-09 22:22:36

Insight_45

I almost asked you what was the name of the script, ouff... just to show you how much I know

I checked it. I tried to run the lines as root. It did not work. But the RM lines did not give an error message. Then the mknod did give an error as the rm did not work (...already exist)

The script shows lines like: "rm -f dev/console"

I am no expert but, when I tried that both from "/" and from "/dev", the files where not removed.
I replaced it with lines like" rm -f /dev/console" and those worked.

Same thing with the "mknod dev/console c 5 1" which I replace with "mknod /dev/console c 5 1"
and those worked

Should there be a "/" in front of the dev to give the correct reference?
Or is it the "cd $TMPDIR" that should make it work. I do not know what is this path but I do not understand how it can work.

I added all the "/" and the script worked correctly and created the third device called zero which I did not do previously. Then again I was under UDEV, I do not know if it would have worked under DEVFS. I will try and report here.

ADDITION: Under devfs, the rm operation is not allowed and similar for the mknod, files already exist. So this is why the migrate script did not create the needed device nodes I suppose. They where set by devfs at boot and they could not be changed

Board footer