You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-22 21:58:01

Comete

About a general way to manage the ./configure options ...

Hi,

i used a Gentoo before Arch Linux and i wanted to know if there was a project in preview to implement a system like the USE variable of Gentoo for Arch Linux ? Editing every package each time they are updated with the options you need is boring. smile

Thank you

Comete.

#2 2003-08-23 00:14:51

jlvsimoes
Website

Re: About a general way to manage the ./configure options ...

use /usr/abs/local for your custom pkgs

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#3 2003-08-23 03:08:21

_JeffG_
Website

Well, the lack of USE is one of the reasons I switched to Arch.  I hated that USE system.  I always kept on forgetting which USE flags I needed to get the features I want.  I think gentoo is too complex for its own good.  Not too complex to use.  But too complex in design.  Why have all that stuff you have to remember to set correctly to get the system to let you have a particular feature in a package.  On Arch, all that tweaking is done in the PKGBUILD file and see that as an advantage cause all the tweaks for that package are right there for you to modify or ignore as desired.

Jeff

#4 2003-08-23 04:39:01

sarah31
Website

i don't think a USE like system will ever be considered for arch linux as it is not a source distro. we compile packages very generically so that the most people will be able to use them. abs is there for those that wish to add more and the bug tracker and maintainer tags are there so that you can request features be added to certain packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer