You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-07 12:02:00

ogu

gnome - no auto menu update

hello,

im using gnome but my gnome menu doesnt update itself. after i install firefox i dont find it in the gnome menu. i have to add it myself. is there a solution to fix this ?

thx:)

ogu

#2 2005-01-07 12:17:07

-Anders

Re: gnome - no auto menu update

It's not a bug. You have to do these things yourself.

#3 2005-01-07 13:59:54

ogu

-Anders wrote:

It's not a bug. You have to do these things yourself.

ok thx for your answer !

but in debian etc. the update ist auto ?

is there a tool or something else ?

chu

ogu

#4 2005-01-07 14:57:45

JGC
Developer

The current firefox comes without any menu entries, you need to add them yourself.
If you're wondering why gnome-panel doesn't pick up menu entries from new installed gnome apps: you need to kill you gnome panel to let it re-read everything, or you run fam to let it look for changes all the time.

#5 2005-01-07 15:17:08

oscar

I hope you enjoyed your first "it's not a but, it's a feature" experience! big_smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#6 2005-01-14 04:08:15

darkcoder

ogu, many of the programs on the repositories that are not designed for gnome (ie. firefox, mozilla, thunderbird) do not include menu entries.  You have to either add the entries by hand, or (as I do) patch the packages to make your life easier.

The policy at Arch (can correct me if I'm wrong) is that packages are not patched unless the patch itself is complete necessary, like a compilation fix.  If they are not necessary they are not included. Sad :cry:  but true

#7 2005-01-17 18:27:10

iBertus

darkcoder wrote:

The policy at Arch (can correct me if I'm wrong) is that packages are not patched unless the patch itself is complete necessary, like a compilation fix.  If they are not necessary they are not included. Sad :cry:  but true

Err, we have a nice Arch logo in the kernel package now. This doesn't seem necessary to me. Perhaps it's only things that would drastically alter a package that are not included.

#8 2005-01-18 09:43:37

JGC
Developer

darkcoder wrote:

ogu, many of the programs on the repositories that are not designed for gnome (ie. firefox, mozilla, thunderbird) do not include menu entries.  You have to either add the entries by hand, or (as I do) patch the packages to make your life easier.

If that's the policy, I'm violating it all the time wink

I patch packages when I think they are useful. I worked on mozilla and co, Dale is looking at it to make some final changes. The new version will have launchers in the gnome panel and will show up in most applications.

Board footer