You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 07:14:40

cb474

verbose shutdown messages (gone after updates)

I did a whole bunch of updates (after being out of town for a couple weeks) and now I no longer see the shutdown messages (both when shutting down and when restarting). I do continue to see the messages on startup. But when shutting down I just see a black screen. Any thoughts on how can I get the messages back? There were a lot of updates to Gnome (to 2.26.3). I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Or if it was the kernel update, or what. Thanks.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-07-25 07:16:25)

#2 2009-07-25 10:09:34

arkham
Website

Re: verbose shutdown messages (gone after updates)

How are you shutting down your system?
Consider also starting gdm from inittab instead that from rc.conf
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Add … on_startup

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#3 2009-07-25 13:14:58

9nqksfhn

If you uninstall "which" this happens.

Last edited by 9nqksfhn (2009-07-25 13:15:11)

#4 2009-07-25 14:48:40

djszapi
Website

And if you shutdown from init 3, so from console, can't you see nothing to or just from graphical interface ? But was shutdown successfull? You can see it from syslog.

Can you try it with user mode ?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … o_shutdown

#5 2009-07-26 02:36:13

cb474

Thanks for the replies.

I am using the inittab method for starting gdm. This originally solved the lack of verbose output, when I switched to inittab a while back. Also, yes, if I shutdown from the console I do see the the verbose messages. And shutdown is successful when I shutdown from inside Gnome, I just don't see the messages. Although it's a bit erratic. I did see the messages once, I have no idea why. But not before that time or after.

djszapi wrote:

If I try this, how do I undo the change? The wiki article says execute as root, "chmod +s /sbin/halt," but doesn't say how to switch back.

9nqksfhn wrote:

If you uninstall "which" this happens.

I don't understand this. What is "which"?

#6 2009-07-26 06:34:48

djszapi
Website

man which smile))

Cb474!

I you would like to switch back just switch back the permissions, that's all.

#7 2009-07-26 07:48:26

cb474

djszapi wrote:

man which smile))

Cb474!

Ah, well, I googled it and tried to look it up in the wiki, to no avail. I didn't realize it's a shell command, so I didn't think of using man. In any case, I have which installed. So I supposed that's not the problem

I you would like to switch back just switch back the permissions, that's all.

I know this is a very newbie question, but I've always just been perplexed by permissions. I don't really get how "chmod +s /sbin/halt" sets the permissions for the halt command to my user account, since no user is specified. And so I'm confused how I would change the permissions back or what I would be changing them to (and what I changed them from). So I guess I still need to be pointed a little bit more explicitly in the right direction for figuring this out. Would "chmod -s /sbin/halt" switch the permissions back?

Thanks.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-07-26 07:51:27)

#8 2009-07-27 00:23:55

cb474

Okay, I tried setting all users to shutdow, with "chmod +s /sbin/halt," and this had no effect.

Then it occured to me that I was seeing several problems again, that I had originally solved by switching from starting gdm as a daemon (with rc.conf) to using the inittab method (the problems were: lack of verbose shutdown and startup, sometimes screen brightness randomly dimmed on startup, hang at poweroff on restart). So I tried switching back to starting gdm from rc.conf and that solved the verbose shutdown problem. I'll have to do more restarts before I know if I'm getting the screen dimming issue (so far so good). I am still getting the hang at poweroff on restart, both with rc.conf and inittab methods of starting gdm.

I wonder if the updates to gnome 2.26.3 addressed the verbose bug with the rc.conf method and that some how created the bug with the inittab method.

#9 2009-08-14 02:16:23

cb474

Any more thoughts on how to fix this problem? I still fail to get the verbose shutdown messages, both using the inittab and rc.conf methods of starting gdm. The rc.conf method is slighty better, actually, sometimes I get the verbose messages, but not always; it seems kind of random. Inittab I pretty much never get the verbose messages.

I've tried all the suggestions above, to no avail, so any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#10 2009-08-14 07:57:36

sherlock

Facing the same problem. Using inittab method, sometimes i see shutdown messages,
sometimes black screen and even my wallpaper.

Here's something related to this problem i think http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75882

#11 2009-08-14 08:58:08

cb474

Thanks for the suggestion. Switching to KMS (Kernel Modesetting) as suggested in the thread you linked to did not solve the problem for me, alas. I got the same behavior, sometimes I see the verbose shutdown messages and sometimes not.

KMS also had the negative (for me) effect of setting my framebuffer resolution to 1400x1050, which is the native resolution of my display, but makes for pretty tiny text. I was happier with 1024x768, as I had set it previously in menu.lst.

I have noticed that if I use a terminal window within Gnome and login as root to do something, I'm more likely to see the verbose shutdown messages the next time I shutdown. Though this is not always true. But it does seem like there is some sort of association.

#12 2009-08-14 11:15:09

sherlock

another peace of advice: my colleague suggested that it is the brightness problem of ATI driver. he still sees very dim letters.
so

sudo echo 100 > /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness

or something similar in /etc/rc.shutdown could help. will  try out )

Last edited by sherlock (2009-08-14 11:15:28)

#13 2009-08-14 13:05:17

wigren

KMS seemed to solve it for me, but I only used it for a few hours as it was buggy on my system. For me, the problem went from only seeing the shutdown messages every once in a while when shutting down from the Gnome menu to never seeing them. I haven't found any fixes, but it looks like Fedora 11 users are having the same problem: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1249913 , so I guess it's upstream? I see the messages every time if I run 'shutdown -h (or -r) now' from a terminal or TTY. Also, I changed the Power Management Preferences to shutdown when I press the power button. I always see the messages when I use the physical power button to shutdown.

#14 2009-08-15 22:37:57

cb474

wigren wrote:

KMS seemed to solve it for me, but I only used it for a few hours as it was buggy on my system. For me, the problem went from only seeing the shutdown messages every once in a while when shutting down from the Gnome menu to never seeing them. I haven't found any fixes, but it looks like Fedora 11 users are having the same problem: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1249913 , so I guess it's upstream? I see the messages every time if I run 'shutdown -h (or -r) now' from a terminal or TTY. Also, I changed the Power Management Preferences to shutdown when I press the power button. I always see the messages when I use the physical power button to shutdown.

My experience is pretty similar. I also went from seeing the messages sometimes to increasingly not at all. Although reverting to the rc.conf method of starting GDM I see the messages more, which is ironic since switching to the inittab method originally solved the problem for me of not seeing the messages with the rc.conf method.

Board footer