You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-28 02:42:48

hungsonbk
Website

best music converter programs

Hi Archers,

I am looking for a music converter which I can convert music from a CD to mp3 or other formats. Can you tell me some programs with can keep the quality of the sound after converted.:):):):):):):)

Thanks

#2 2009-02-28 02:44:09

firecat53
Website

Re: best music converter programs

Very simple/flexible  command line program for ripping CD's to multiple formats is abcde.

Scott

#3 2009-02-28 03:40:48

leo2501

+ abcde and rip to flac for lossless quality

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 2009-02-28 07:00:31

Runiq

You can also use cdparanoia to rip to wav, which is lossless too, and then use flac itself (or lame, or oggenc, or whatever encoder floats your boat) to convert the lossless wav to lossless flac (/mp3/ogg/...). That's the way I use it anyways.

In the directory you want the tracks:

cdparanoia -B        #-B is for batch processing tracks off the CD
flac --replay-gain --best *.wav        #--best is for best compression. It's gonna be fast anyways. ;)

This will also be pretty easy to implement in a script (which I'm going to try as soon as I have the time). For tagging options and more have a look at your favourite encoder's manpage. (I'm using kid3 for tagging, maybe that'll change when I get that script thing up and running.)

EDIT: Look what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless#Audio
Also: You probably know that, but there are very few portable media players which can play flac tracks. Plus they're a battery hog because the disk needs to be accessed very often (the files are rather big, about 40% of a track's wav file). Thus, for playing tracks on your portable, you might want to convert to a different format.

Last edited by Runiq (2009-02-28 07:12:19)

#5 2009-02-28 07:23:07

xd-0
Website

If you want to convert soundfiles then use Soundconverter. If you want to rip your cds to the computer then try asunder.

#6 2009-02-28 07:59:06

Rasi
Website

Just to make sure the best ripper is mentioned too: rubyripper

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2009-02-28 08:29:22

dolby

rubyripper +1
the cli version is better IMO

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#8 2009-02-28 09:46:01

Army

+1 for rubyripper
I usually use the graphical GUI, but the cli version is fine as well. What I don't really like about it is, that it doesn't use time efficiently. It rips the track twice, compares them and then converts them to the selected formats. But while converting, it could read the next track already. But it waits for the conversion to be finished... But still, the quality is compareless, even on CDs which seemed to be free of scratches or faults of any kind, rubyripper had to correct things. With abcde these errors would have remained.

#9 2009-02-28 15:05:25

bangkok_manouel

if you're a real maniac, EAC in wine works flawlessly.

#10 2009-02-28 15:09:22

userlander

rubyripper, or grip + lame or flac

#11 2009-02-28 16:27:11

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Wine+EAC for perfection.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#12 2009-03-01 10:17:02

xd-0
Website

Is quality of the rip comparable between Rubyripper and EAC?  It sounds like Rubyripper should produce a flawless rip since it does it twice and compare files. I'm asking because I'm not very confident in Asunders performance on that point.

#13 2009-03-01 13:11:50

Rasi
Website

xd-0 wrote:

Is quality of the rip comparable between Rubyripper and EAC?  It sounds like Rubyripper should produce a flawless rip since it does it twice and compare files. I'm asking because I'm not very confident in Asunders performance on that point.

The methods used are around the same... According to Hydrogenaudio.org (who i trust) rubyripper should be on par with EAC.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#14 2009-03-01 13:12:22

Rasi
Website

Army wrote:

+1 for rubyripper
I usually use the graphical GUI, but the cli version is fine as well. What I don't really like about it is, that it doesn't use time efficiently. It rips the track twice, compares them and then converts them to the selected formats. But while converting, it could read the next track already. But it waits for the conversion to be finished... But still, the quality is compareless, even on CDs which seemed to be free of scratches or faults of any kind, rubyripper had to correct things. With abcde these errors would have remained.

Rubyripper used to do this.. But that feature got removed for now, because it crashed the GUI. I hope it comes back soon.

Last edited by Rasi (2009-03-01 13:15:17)

Douglas Adams

#15 2009-03-01 18:54:45

Ranguvar

EAC in Wine. CDParanoia is the only thing that comes close (all apps that use it), but it's not quite as good. Google around, I remember an in-depth comparison of the two.

#16 2009-03-09 03:31:25

Bysshe

xd-0 wrote:

If you want to convert soundfiles then use Soundconverter. If you want to rip your cds to the computer then try asunder.

Asunder randomly corrupts files.  [buzzer]

I'm still searching for a program that works and has intelligent documentation.  Grip probably works.  Intelligence?  [buzzer]

I guess I'll look into making a script for the commandline stuff.  It may not be as fast, but at this point folks need working stuff....

BTW, [buzzer]

.....Ah, simple enough to use EAC through Wine.   Just get the windows version of the codec and place it in the System32 directory of Wine, configure compression and directories, and done.  Always liked EAC in Windows and wasn't sure if it would work in Wine.  Apparently it works awesome.  Plus I'd rather have kept trying the native applications, but seriously, I've been waiting years for something that both works and isn't counterintuitive.  That's not going to happen though a valiant and extensive effort has obviously been made.  And I'm not ungrateful, just tired of trying to make things work.

Problem solved.  Run EAC through Wine as someone else in this thread suggested.   Very, very nice.  smile  Thanks for the heads up whoever mentioned that.

Last edited by Bysshe (2009-03-09 04:30:11)

#17 2009-08-17 14:37:40

foggybrain

EAC and Nero AAC with wine

If you want to use EAC with the win32 neroAacEnc and neroAacTag these commands and parameters work.

Program, Including path used for compression :-
C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Additional command-line options :-
/K /C "C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\neroAacEnc.exe" -q 0.8 -if %s -of %d && "C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\neroAacTag.exe" %d -meta:artist="%a" -meta:album="%g" -meta:track="%n" -meta:title="%t" -meta:year="%y"

Change the paths to the win32 neroAacEnc.exe and neroAacTag.exe accordingly. I put them both in the Exact Audio Copy directory, if you put them in system32 you wont need to give paths.

The "-q 0.8" setting gives very high quality vbr. 0=lowest, 1=highest quality, see nero help files to tweak to your needs.

eacnero.jpg

Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get it to work using the linux versions of neroAacEnc and neroAacTag yet.

Last edited by foggybrain (2009-08-21 11:27:53)

Board footer