You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-17 13:08:33

absolutevoid
Website

[workaround]digiKam detecting camera, but not able to transfer photos

Hi,

I have installed digiKam and it is detecting my camera Canon EOS 350D by its name. But camera shows busy at its LCD screen and I am not able to transfer photos from it or even to browse through it. What should I do to enable it now. Using KDEmod.

Last edited by absolutevoid (2009-08-19 10:30:24)

Everything void is absolute and everything absolute is void.

#2 2009-08-17 17:29:07

broch
Banned

Re: [workaround]digiKam detecting camera, but not able to transfer photos

hello,
up to kdemod 4.2.x I did not have any problems with Canon 350D, however after the upgrade to kdemod 4.3 and latest digikam I did not try to transfer pictures. I am going to try transfer pictures this evening, so I will let you know if this works for me or not.

#3 2009-08-17 18:41:29

absolutevoid
Website

Thank you broch. I will wait for your response. Meanwhile, I am able to use a USB All-in-one Multiple card reader for the purpose. The problem with this work around is that, it is a time consuming process as the card reader is having slower read/transfer spead.

Last edited by absolutevoid (2009-08-17 18:46:45)

#4 2009-08-18 02:05:50

broch
Banned

O.k.
I have kdemod 4.3.0.5 and digikam 0.10.0-4
kernel version used for test 2.6.31-rc6
I tried to transfer pictures from camera (350D) in CR2 format. Transfer worked and was pretty fast.

Make sure that user's digikam has write permission to the folder (I would check this just in the case that somehing happened during upgrade process)

As temporary solution I would suggest to connect camera and open as USB device. This works as fast as any USB and much faster than USB card reader (at least the one I have somewhere, was really slow irrelevant of hardware and OS).

Another option would be to first backup .kde4/share/config/digikamrc, then delete file and try to run digikam.
There are two modes "normal" and "PTP" (non-USB), 350D should be set with "normal" protocol

I hope that this will help a little

Last edited by broch (2009-08-18 02:10:02)

#5 2009-08-18 05:30:22

absolutevoid
Website

Hi broch,

I moved the file .kdemod4/share/config/digikamrc to my home directory as digikamrc.backup

Then I tried connecting the camera. This time, it was detected as a USB imaging interface. Before doing this, when I clicked on this notifications, digiKam was loaded. This time, it asked for whether to download photos using digikam.  I did not find any normal or PTP modes as you have described. I gave a go ahead, but digikam doesn't load at all. Then I manually loaded digicam. In the import menu, the camera name was visible. I clicked on it, but nothing happened. It was same as before. Now when I checked in the .kdemod4/share/config/ directory, a new digikamrc was there. I but replaced it with original one again.

The only user apart from the root is me and I have set read, write permissions for me.

I tried loading the camera as a normal USB device after following the wiki. But that does not seem to work or I do not know, how well could i mount it. I created a /mnt/camera as the mount directory and had tried. normally, all other usb devices are automounted and I can even mount external harddisk through my USB port.

#6 2009-08-18 12:36:51

broch
Banned

kde(mod) should load USB without creating mount point. When you connect 350D, system try notification applet should open giving you an option to (after you select USB device from notification panel):
mount camera as USB device (folder open in dolphin) or run digikam. You should be able to open then.
I have mostly 2GB sticks but I did tried 4GB and 8GB and all worked.

Maybe try another stick?

I did check 350D protocols in the latest digikam and as you pointed out now only one protocol is available (in past there was a choice: normal or PTP, obviously only normal worked so this might be a reason of leaving only one option). So this is correct.

You may also check Rebel's options to see how it wants to be recognized (protocol).

Were you able to connect succesfully this camera before?
What is the output of lsusb after you connect camera?

#7 2009-08-19 06:17:30

thisllub

I have to say that i gave up on digiKam altogether.
It finds my Panasonic Lumix but that is all.
Gtkam works flawlessly

#8 2009-08-19 10:29:23

absolutevoid
Website

hi broch and thisllub,

I installed Gtkam and it's dependency libexif-gtk. After that, I reconnected my camera and digikam was able to download photos this time. It had shown only a single option of downloading using Digikam of course. What magic did the new installations did, I don't know.

Now, writing from my work machine.

#9 2009-08-20 00:34:32

thisllub

I am starting to suspect some sort of permissions error.
Bingo.

Not in the camera group.

Board footer