You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-08 21:33:41

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Kbear not connecting... or even trying to

Kbear looks like a full featured ftp client... except it doesn't seem to be bothering to connect.  It seems I must have a simple option turned off or forgot to press some button or something,, so if you can suggest a simple solution first.... :oops:

I've set up the site I want to connect to in the SiteManager, and then I click connect. It pops up a window for the new site, but none of the buttons are enabled. the status bar says "Connected: Not Connected" and the progressbar sticks at 0%. I can't find any way to suggest that it should connect. I've tried anonymous connection to some of the Linux sites already in the sitemanager, and I get the same results. Is there some option I'm missing or some configuration error...?

The only thing I can think of is the firewall setting. I have it set to 'no firewall', which is correct - I'm not behind a firewall, that I know of.  Is it something simple, or something arcane... nobody else seems to have trouble, on google...

I've fiddled with the ftp settings, but  it actually seems like its not bothering to connect at all... not even trying (kppp isn't even indicating that any data is sent). There's no indication that it's busy or anything... it just pops up a dead window and that's that, like it thinks I should know what to do.

lftp (CLI client -- I seem to be not cut out for this GUI work!) works fine with default settings and gftp worked, last time I tried it... this seems to be a kbear specific issue???

thanks for any insight,

Dusty

#2 2005-01-08 21:35:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Kbear not connecting... or even trying to

er... tracked down the error, now does anybody have a solution? I ran kbear from command line and notice this line when I try to connect to anything:

kbear: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_kbearftp'.

any ideas? missing dependency or something???

Dusty

Edit: kio_kbearftp exists in /opt/kde/lib/kde3.  I tried adding that dir to ld.so.conf and running ldconfig. I logged in and out of kde to see if it would set klauncher, but it still doesn't work.

I have kdelibs 3.3.2-2 installed... that *may* be the problem; I'm upgrading to 3.3.2-5... long download... any other ideas.  Google isn't helping much. There's a couple of german results, but I can't read them and they don't look to promising anyway.

#3 2005-01-09 03:41:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

well, I upgraded kdelibs and kbear is still throwing the same error. I'm out of ideas... Why does this work for other people and not for me?

Does anybody know how I can get a more descriptive error of *why* the io_slave is failing to load?

Dusty

#4 2005-01-09 07:40:17

xerxes2
Website

hello dusty,
isn't kbear outdated? I used kasablanca instead when i used qt,
there is also gftp and lftp wich is console based,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#5 2005-01-09 16:18:48

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

It may be... its outdated enough to not be working. Yeah... I didn't check the home page; it hasn't been updated in over a year. On the other hand, I can't find an AL package for kasablanca.

I've been using lftp for several months, but I'm doing an informal HCI experiment and want to use all GUI stuff. I'd also like to make it as all-KDE as possible (except I can't stand konqueror as a web browser), so I'm avoiding gftp (I liked it when I last used it though... and it worked)

I found a couple PKGBUILDs for kasablanca, I'll try building it this afternoon.

Thanks.

Dusty

Board footer