You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 12:08:44

SpeedVin

Xmonad vs DWM.

Hello
For some time I want to try Xmonad and I search on Google about Xmonad vs DWM (my current wm).
And I found topic on our forum about Awesome vs DWM , Xmonad vs Awesome but no Xmonad vs DWM.
And now I know that Xmonad is feuture rich (Xmonad tabing layout I need only that for now).
I want to know:
1.Is Xmonad need lot more memory from DWM?
Someone can compare memory use to DWM?
2.Is Xmonad more flexible than DWM?'Tahnks for help and answer smile

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#2 2009-08-20 12:17:51

andre.ramaciotti

Re: Xmonad vs DWM.

It does need more memory than DWM, but it's still a lot less than Awesome. I think the only big cons of XMonad is that it needs GHC, which is quite big (you can uninstall it later, but if you want to change your config file, you'll need to install it again)

(lambda ())

#3 2009-08-20 13:44:48

SpeedVin

andre.ramaciotti wrote:

It does need more memory than DWM, but it's still a lot less than Awesome. I think the only big cons of XMonad is that it needs GHC, which is quite big (you can uninstall it later, but if you want to change your config file, you'll need to install it again)

Oh Thanks that's mean Xmonad is not so big.
I mean when I want to compile some program's I have to install makedepend's (I don't use them) and after compilation I remove them.
GHC is like makedepends smile
Thank you smile

#4 2009-08-20 14:27:46

tadzik

For me, xmonad has much more features, but as long as I don't really care about them I'm on dwm ever since.
Anyway, SpeedVin, what is DWM-GIT doing in your signature? I'm quite sure dwm uses mercurial, not git ; )

#5 2009-08-20 14:34:01

SpeedVin

tadzik wrote:

For me, xmonad has much more features, but as long as I don't really care about them I'm on dwm ever since.
Anyway, SpeedVin, what is DWM-GIT doing in your signature? I'm quite sure dwm uses mercurial, not git ; )

Hello tadzik smile
DWM-GIT is my package from AUR someone (one of the developers) create git repo of DWM and post it on Mailing List and I build PKGBUILD for it smile
I now are reading guided tour on Xmonad website and.
Xmonad has all thing's that I miss in DWM and other WM's , it's Awesome smile

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-08-20 15:00:12)

#6 2009-08-20 15:13:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

Enabling many of the features in Xmonad (particularly enabling many at once) can require a good understanding of Haskell, or a lot of time and patience to troubleshoot.

Similar to dwm, whenever you reconfigure Xmonad you'll need to recompile it with GHC so it doesn't make much sense to remove GHC after each build.

I used Xmonad extensively and I think it's a great piece of software.  I eventually dropped it (for dwm) because I couldn't get my head around Haskell, the GHC dependency was a big one, and I found that I didn't even use most of the advanced features.

Last edited by thayer (2009-08-20 15:23:08)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#7 2009-08-20 16:38:06

SpeedVin

thayer wrote:

Enabling many of the features in Xmonad (particularly enabling many at once) can require a good understanding of Haskell, or a lot of time and patience to troubleshoot.

Similar to dwm, whenever you reconfigure Xmonad you'll need to recompile it with GHC so it doesn't make much sense to remove GHC after each build.

I used Xmonad extensively and I think it's a great piece of software.  I eventually dropped it (for dwm) because I couldn't get my head around Haskell, the GHC dependency was a big one, and I found that I didn't even use most of the advanced features.

I need only tabbing layout , GHC is only big in size and it don't eat any of resources after start X , I think there will be no problem in enabling tabbing layout smile
Hmm for now I can't build Xmonad becouse when pacman try download GHC , he can't becouse he's download speed is 1,7KB/s , I think it's becouse mirror's synchronization smile

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-08-20 17:06:38)

#8 2009-08-20 18:28:40

SpeedVin

Ok I just builded and installed Xmonad and it's awesome (That is what I need , I love it smile).
I try to use sample config from website but U habe some error's:

Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/user/.home/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

on the commandline:
    Warning: -no-recomp is deprecated: Use -fforce-recomp instead

xmonad.hs:4:0: parse error on input `{'

Please check the file for errors.

xmonad: xmessage: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

I need something?
Thanks for help smile
Edit
Problem solved I have to install xmonad-contrib smile

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-08-20 19:28:01)

Board footer