You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 00:45:49

ssl6

can't get wireless working

so i setup arch on a dell 640m laptop last night to use as an encoding box so as not to slow down my main system. i usually have 2 desktops, but one is down at the moment due to a flood in this area. hence i needed a second system, so i set this thing up.

now, i've setup arch a million times, and every time i have to go through the wiki to jog my memory on the configurations. anyway, i swapped an intel 4965 wireless card in this laptop a while ago, this one usually runs windows and the card works.

i installed the 4965 modules, and wicd. and this is where the problem starts. i followed the steps for the configurations. and i can't seem to get wicd to find any networks. if i run lsmod, the modules are loaded. and if i run ifconfig -a the card is there. iwlist gives me no results.

now im looking at the wifi LED above the keyboard, and its off, so i think the problem is that i can;t get the card turned on to use it. so that seems to be where i need to start. anyone know anything about these things, since i need some help here? this is the only real problem i've had, so far i got everything else working great, except i find hdd and cdrom speeds to be rather on the slow side, but thats another thing

this is a signature

#2 2009-08-21 03:32:34

ssl6

Re: can't get wireless working

got a solution, not my ideal solution for power management though. but i disabled the hotkey in the bios, so the wireless stays on now

this is a signature

Board footer