You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 06:47:10

ewaller
Administrator

[Solved]Determining which daemons have been started.

I am a newbie to Arch having used Gentoo for years.  I have searched the arch wiki and forums and have been unable to find any good tools for determining which daemons are currently running.

Obviously, one can use ps -ef, but it generates a bunch of extra cruft unreleated to daemons.

I am looking for something similar to gentoos' rc-status .  I fully realize everything gets started in rc.conf or in inittab, but sometimes I find it convient to do some stuff by hand -- like ssh into the box and start apache only when I want to use it, and stop it when I'm done.  Often I forget what my boxes' state is.

Thanks.

Last edited by ewaller (2009-08-21 16:40:20)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2009-08-21 06:54:50

SpeedVin

Re: [Solved]Determining which daemons have been started.

Maybe try

ls /var/run/deamons

smile

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#3 2009-08-21 07:08:03

Acecero

Really? You have not found any good tools? Cause I swear I saw something. tongue

#4 2009-08-21 08:08:21

Profjim

Although this depends on the /etc/rc.d/whatever author to call etc/rc.d/functions:add_daemon.

#5 2009-08-21 16:39:18

ewaller
Administrator

Thank you everyone,

SpeedVin:  That certainly meets the KISS principal and will work for almost all of my needs.
Acecero: That script is just what I asked for and it works great.
Profjim: Noted.

Note to self -- don't try searching late at night and on your way to bed. I tried everyhing about daemons except "rc-status".  Result: minor hits to forum karma.

ewaller

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer