You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-22 17:49:17

hadrurus

ECS KA3 MVP unable to boot - most probably AHCI problem

This is repost from gentoo forums (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-78 … ight-.html) (i currently run gentoo, but am switching my machines to arch)

Hi all

my hw:
CPU Type: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+
Mobo: ECS KA3 MVP
Mobo Chipset: AMD 580X CrossFire, AMD Hammer

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST3300831AS ATA Device (300 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A ATA Device

(stats given by EVEREST v5.02.1750 from under win7)

Now, when i try to boot any Linux install disk (gentoo x86, amd64, *ubuntu904) it errors at similar thing, that is configuring ahci.
I know, that this is most probably due to sata drives access method (had similar problem on different mobo), which should be in bios changed to ohci/sata/raid according to what is available - and the problem is that in my bios there is no place to change it (and its the newest bios version available for this mobo).
I asked internetz about it and came up only with the list of options i could add and try to boot, so i've done it with various configurations of "acpi=off noapic nolapic irqpoll all_generic_ide pci=nomsi" and booting went beyond ahci configuration, but is unable to mount root device (probably because with mentioned options it discovers none).
[on arch it says: cannot find /dev/arch]

ofc, as usually in this kind of situations windows (7) had no problems installing and works flawless...

Quote:
So I understand you have no option to change the controller mode (e.g. IDE/AHCI/RAID), is that right?

Answer:
yes

Quote:
Could you try to put the whole boot log here? I know it can be a huge task but can you manage to boot from USB, CDROM or something that gives you control in the end?

Answer:
the thing is i'm unable to get to the point to have any prompt 
probably, if i'd managed to get livecd to boot fully i'd most probably get it to install somehow 
it either stalls (so that hardreset is needed) on configuring ahci, or later on saying that no hd could be found... the furthes i got was to "(initramfs):" prompt on Ubuntu9.04 installation disk

how can i perform more diagnostics, or what distros should i try to run to maybe get any further ?
i'm thinking about system rescuecd and knoppix

Current:
now i ran arch i686 netinstall cd, i686 netinstall usb, ubuntu 9.10, sysrescue cd
and still no go neutral

one thing that just came to my mind is to boot win7 and try to install some ubuntu from within ... hmmmm .. i'll post later with info on how it gone.

any thoughts on how to make it to like Linux ? thou i'll probably have to exchange the mobo
regards

/* Never laugh at a live dragon, Bilbo you fool! */

Board footer