You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-02 19:42:03

Polygon

custom DSDTs and the arch linux kernel

I just read that from now on, every kernel past 2.6.30 won't have mkinitcpio hooks for dsdt anymore, and i read more about it here...

but to use a custom dsdt file, is really the ONLY WAY now is to compile a custom kernel? i don't want to have to do all of that, repeatedly, for the rest of the time i use arch linux. It seems very unnecessary to compile a whole new kernel when it can just be stuck in the initramfs such as how other distros do it such as ubuntu/debian (see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ight=dsdt)

so yeah, is there no other way to make the arch kernel load a custom dsdt file? I really don't want to have to spend hours learning how to configure/compile a custom kernel because of the motherboard manufacturers failure.

Last edited by Polygon (2009-08-02 19:43:53)

#2 2009-08-02 20:17:11

Wintervenom

Re: custom DSDTs and the arch linux kernel

Unfortunately, I don't think there is another way -- someone correct me if I am wrong.  But the good thing is, you only have to configure one time.  And, while you're there, you can turn off anything you're sure you'll never use to cut the compile (and possibly boot) time down.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-08-02 20:17:45)

#3 2009-08-02 20:21:00

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Polygon wrote:

I just read that from now on, every kernel past 2.6.30 won't have mkinitcpio hooks for dsdt anymore, and i read more about it here...

but to use a custom dsdt file, is really the ONLY WAY now is to compile a custom kernel? i don't want to have to do all of that, repeatedly, for the rest of the time i use arch linux. It seems very unnecessary to compile a whole new kernel when it can just be stuck in the initramfs such as how other distros do it such as ubuntu/debian (see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ight=dsdt)

so yeah, is there no other way to make the arch kernel load a custom dsdt file? I really don't want to have to spend hours learning how to configure/compile a custom kernel because of the motherboard manufacturers failure.

i agree it sucks, but at the moment there just is no 2.6.30 kernel patch to load the dsdt in initramfs (same for ubuntu).

i trust on the ubuntu guys to fix it before the karmic release though, but it will probably still require some begging here to get the arch maintainers to include it again..

in the meantime, if you need a kernel26 pkgbuild that compiles your dsdt into the kernel, let me know.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2009-08-03 03:41:52

Polygon

before i trouble you for that pkgbuild, someone on the ubuntu forums said they just updated a patch for 2.6.30 that should fix it, although i am not sure if its it the same patch that the people in the bug report tried and said did not work 100% of the time, or if it actually fixes the problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … tcount=218

#5 2009-08-03 07:21:10

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

gaugusch.at is the source of the 'official' patch we used before, so it's good news to see a (beta) 2.6.30 showing up there.

i've opened a new ticket on the bugtracker for it, please vote for it to raise awareness. wink

http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do= … k_id=15767

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#6 2009-08-03 19:25:01

kriz

whats the big deal compiling your own kernel? i'd even recomment everyone to do it. u can easily configure your kernel with a graphical config like xconfig, every option is very well described, and u can get info of your hardware out of lspci command. i think there are even autokernelconf tools out there. the kernelconfiguration is done once and is saved in a file called ".config", which u can use for future kernels. for me the compilation takes round 10 minutes. as a result u get an cleaned up kernel with only necessary modules for your machine, architecture specific optimizations and an overall smoother system.

„Je verdinglichter die Welt, je dichter das Netz, das der Natur überworfen wurde, desto mehr beansprucht ideologisch das Denken, das jenes Netz spinnt, seinerseits Natur, Urerfahrung zu sein." Theodor W. Adorno [aus: Wozu noch Philosopie]

#7 2009-08-05 22:48:22

Polygon

i'm not willing to spend the time learning the options for configuring my own kernel, etc when i JUST want a fixed dsdt to be loaded instead of the buggy crappy one my motherboard has. I don't care about the 'optimizations' which pretty much won't have any noticeable effect on my system performance or 'unnecessary modules' (oh no, my kernel is a couple megabytes too big! im running out of space on my 640 gb drive!).

this -is- a deal breaker for me, on my laptop, it does not suspend, hibernate, or adjust the screen brightness correctly without this, and my regular computer same thing (minus screen brightness). its stupid to recompile my entire kernel to do something that "sudo update-initramfs -u -k kernel-version" + reboot can be done in other distros.

#8 2009-08-06 14:08:48

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Polygon, if you can add your standpoint to the bug page mentioned above, it might help the kernel packagers reconsider their opinion on the subject. right now things don't look good for us dsdt-cripples, since they don't seem to be very willing to help us out.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#9 2009-08-24 03:36:20

Polygon

apparantly according to the guy who is very good at fixing buggy dsdts (fixed both of mine as well as countless others), he says that even ubuntu and opensuse have axed the patch, with more distros to follow.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7836514

he also says that they did this so that buggy dsdt code can be fixed at the kernel level so people won't need dsdts. I wonder how long _thats_ going to take, and how many people ragequit linux cause simple things like fans, screen brightness, and suspend/hibernate don't work

Board footer