You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-24 21:03:15

shadok

Fan firing almost continuously since last upgrade

When I was under Ubuntu/Gnome, my laptop lasted but 1h30 on batteries, and the fan noise starting every second was unnerving. After switching to Arch, and discovering Xmonad, the same laptop (Acer Extensa 7630) was silent and the autonomy raised to 3h30 !! smile

However after last upgrade (a big one after leaving some 2 weeks), now the fan is continually starting (and it *is* noisy). Battery autonomy has also dropped (3h30 to 2h55).

Even with X not running, the fan starts some seconds, stops half a second, starts again, etc. I enquired with a very untrained eye, and all I saw was:

- powertop shows 25% wakeups (under X it is 48-55 out of 110-130, without X it is out of 40-50) due to "<kernel core> : hrtimer_start_range_ns (tick_sched_timer)", is it normal?
- htop shows a screenful of "/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon" lines... are those normal?
- both processors are active (typically 2% and 4% at 800MHz), su CPU usage is low, however I remember that before only one processor was active when only having one terminal and one conky running.
- laptop-mode has been recently changed (pacman says 2 august), but I don't remember if is was on my big upgrade.
- the kernel was on the upgrade.

Thanks for any hint, or idea of what to check next...
Eric

Board footer