You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-10 06:49:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

ABS and the Wiki (problem solved)

The abs download for PKGBUILD of Kernel26-2.6.10 differs from the Wiki PKGBUILD for kernels 2.6.  Which is the most correct(neither works)?

Cannot get one item of Kernel 2.6.10 entered as a module in a custom kernel via wiki or abs download.

Whazzup?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-01-10 09:25:57

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: ABS and the Wiki (problem solved)

Which Wiki page are you tallking about ....????

Mr Green

#3 2005-01-10 13:02:14

dp
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Cannot get one item of Kernel 2.6.10 entered as a module in a custom kernel via wiki or abs download.

what is an "item of Kernel" and why do you "enter it as a module in a custom kernel via wiki or abs download"?

sorry, i'm confused ... maybe it's my bad english

what do you want to do and where do you stuck?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2005-01-10 15:57:48

lilsirecho
Veteran

The abs " how to" for the kernel to permit changing the 2.6.10 kernel to enable "cramfs" as a module as recommended by Jason.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2005-01-10 16:05:21

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

either post or pm me the PKGBUILD I will take a look sounds like a patch issue

Mr Green

#6 2005-01-11 20:48:32

lilsirecho
Veteran

The problem I had in trying to create a custom kernel to Kernel2.6.10-1 was the result of mis-applying the abs system.

Firstly, abs downloads the existing kernels into /var/abs/kernels.  A desired kernel can be selected to be processed by the wiki.  The wiki describes the utilization of two of the files in /var/abs/kernels so those two were moved to /var/abs/local/kernel26-custom, namely config and PKGBUILD.

The basic understanding of the system was missing.  All of the files in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 had to be included in the transfer to /var/abs/local kernel26-custom.

The needed changes to the config and PKGBUILD were then made and the makepkg ran from that location. Subsequent application of...

pacman Uf... with the kernel Id....... provided the new custom kernel.

The pkgbuild provided within the wiki refers to config and patch entries but such are foreign to the unitiated user.

The downloaded PKGBUILD performed correctly when applied along with the other files provided by abs.

The basic process of producing a new kernel would be to recognize the need to change the config file and in addition, to provide input to the PKGBUILD file; no further detail seems necessary, but it is necessary to include more than that which is discussed in the wiki -how-to for custom kernel.  Therein lies the problem I generated by mis-applying two different PKGBUILDS, the one in the wiki and the other in the abs download.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread!

big_smile

Board footer