You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-24 18:36:44

rls

External Hard Drive Connected via PCMCIA

I am going to upgrade the hard drive on my laptop. One step involves transferring the info from my present IDE hard drive to the upgrade IDE hardrive. The upgrade IDE hard drive will be in a hard drive adaptor that is connected via a PCMCIA slot.

I presume (and certainly hope) there will be no drama, with the kernel recognizing the external hard drive as /dev/hdX, given all of the relevant PCMCIA features are enabled.

If somone has done this and encountered any gotchas, I would appreciate the intel.

Regards, Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2003-09-09 22:00:06

rls

Re: External Hard Drive Connected via PCMCIA

Perhaps no one replied to the original post because the answer is embarassingly simple. All one needs is the device driver ide-cs, which is not present in the package kernel-scsi. The upgrade hard drive becomes /dev/hde.

The software aspects turned out to be a bit more challenging, but that is the subject of another post.

Rick

#3 2003-09-09 22:45:50

sarah31
Website

would that module be a part of pcmcia-cs package?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-09-09 23:02:51

rls

I don't know what you mean by the pcmcia-cs package. In kconfig, in the IDE, ATA and ATAPI section, it is the parameter CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS.   

Regards, Rick

#5 2003-09-09 23:20:21

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

ide-cs is a pcmcia driver, but in the Archlinux kernel+pcmcia set up it's part of the kernel package.  You don't actually need pcmcia-cs to load the driver... though autodetecting you do...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer