You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 19:44:08

hypnotic_meat

rc.conf daemons not starting on live CD [SOLVED]

I'm using the larch tool to create a live CD that boots into X and launches a java app.  Everything works correctly, but I've had some issues getting the mouse and keyboard working.  I was using hal to hotplug input devices, but when booting from the live CD, none of the entries in the rc.conf daemons array were starting.  Specifically, hal wasn't starting, and since there were no input entries in xorg.conf, there were no inputs.  Fixing this was simple enough - I just added a few lines to my startup script that starts the hal daemon (and a few others that I needed).  I'm just curious if there is some configuration option or something that fixes this and makes the live CD start all the daemons listed in rc.conf.

Any insights are appreciated.

Last edited by hypnotic_meat (2009-08-25 18:26:39)

#2 2009-08-19 21:28:35

djszapi
Website

Re: rc.conf daemons not starting on live CD [SOLVED]

Hello hypnotic_meat!

Did you follow the documentation step by step ? Did you try with other livecd creation tool from ArchWiki ?

#3 2009-08-20 16:51:23

hypnotic_meat

Thanks for your help djszapi.

I didn't deviate from the documentation at all.  I looked closer at the boot output for my live CD, and after going into run level 5, none of the daemons are listed.  It just jumps right into X.  Is this a feature of run level 5 that it just skips the rc.conf daemons array entirely?  Or maybe I'm being dumb and it uses a different config file?

#4 2009-08-20 18:04:07

gradgrind

I think you might have to describe in a little more detail how you have set your system up, which system files you have changed and how, etc. This is because larch itself changes some of the system files and you might have to be careful that you don't do something incompatible. Whether the daemons in rc.conf are started should have nothing to do with starting xorg, that happens afterwards (unless it is done via gdm or some such in the daemons list). rc.conf itself is one of the files that may be changed by larch, so the first thing you should do is check that the rc.conf that the system sees (cat /etc/rc.conf in the running live system) is the one you are expecting - if not you'll know roughly where the problem lies.

General note: Problems concerning larch specifically should not be written to any old forum page. It is not an official Arch project and I don't regularly read all the forum pages. Please mail me directly or add it to the latest larch thread on the Community Contributions page.

#5 2009-08-25 18:26:29

hypnotic_meat

Resolved this issue with gradgrind.  Removing the rcconfx file that was in the root of my profile made everything peaches.

Many thanks!

Board footer