You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-04 19:43:54

chimeric
Website

Re: uArch - arch linux for embeded and old machines

zio wrote:

good stuff I'll be on #uarch most of today. if you have any questions.

Good to know smile.

zio wrote:

also uArch would be a good choice for a NSLU2 . if you are using it let me know and I'll create a wiki page explaining how its being use.

I fact I plan to do so but I think this needs some time wink. ATM I am trying to setup a cross compile toolchain. I'll let you know as soon as I made some progress smile.

#27 2008-05-04 20:23:51

zio

I'm currently in the process of creating the design docs, for cross tool packages. see http://uarch.zapto.org/wiki/TechNotes for more information. The design doc is not currently complete but its getting there.

I plan on starting the i386 cross  toolchain in the next couple of days. If you want to help out or test follow the Join page on our wiki

#28 2008-05-06 11:34:09

chimeric
Website

zio wrote:

I plan on starting the i386 cross  toolchain in the next couple of days. If you want to help out or test follow the Join page on our wiki

Ok, I've tried to setup a ARM cross compile toolchain by following the Cross Linux From Scratch way (using archs makepkg along with customized PKGBUILDs so the toolchain can easily be installed). I've tried to create a set of tools in a dedicated tool directory - pretty much like firmware does it, with the gcc, binutils, uClibc provided by the uarch repo. However, it seems I've ran into some yet unresolved problems with the uClibc cross build (the assembler of the already cross-compiled binutils gets called with unknown parameters). I think it's a problem with gcc-4.3 but I am not 100% sure about this (the CLFS book for example doesn't recommend gcc versions greater than 4.1.1).

You've settled on using the firmware linux toolchain for this task now right? Maybe I should give it a try instead of building my own?

The reasons I am still hesitating to join the team is that I'd like to have something accomplished/working I can contribute wink.

To be honest, I am also relatively new to all this. I have quite some experience compiling stuff and tracking down "normal build errors" but I certainly lack the knowledge for resolving complicated issues. I still have to learn quite a lot in this regards.

I just don't want to raise too high expectations wink. Still, I would love to run Arch on my NSLU2 roll.

#29 2008-05-06 12:05:28

idjut

Great. Will deffo try this. I like the philosophy of dsl, but this looks more interesting with arch in the base. Cheers!

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

#30 2008-05-06 12:38:33

zio

chimeric wrote:

You've settled on using the firmware linux toolchain for this task now right? Maybe I should give it a try instead of building my own?

I switched to firmware for prototyping, so far its working pretty well. I've done a partial commit. that can be found in abs/cross the packages are
native-compiler-busybox  native-compiler-pacman native-compiler-i686 . eventually you end up with a /tools dir that you can chroot or boot into. if your use to LFS should be easy to follow. so in theory if you want to make a compiler for your arch just make a new cross-compiler-i686 package and a new native-compiler-* packages for your arch.
*make sure you rebuild pacman or copy over the new makepkg.conf"

chimeric wrote:

The reasons I am still hesitating to join the team is that I'd like to have something accomplished/working I can contribute wink.

To be honest, I am also relatively new to all this. I have quite some experience compiling stuff and tracking down "normal build errors" but I certainly lack the knowledge for resolving complicated issues. I still have to learn quite a lot in this regards.

I just don't want to raise too high expectations wink. Still, I would love to run Arch on my NSLU2 roll.

In terms of helping out, your more then welcome to help in anyway you see fit. You have already reported 2 bugs for me that has been very helpful.  If you want to document some stuff on our wiki that would be great. maybe document the  cross toolchain. Ultimately testers are needed and I'm not far off from having another ported arch. that reminds me what processor is in your router? since I'm lacking hardware I'll port that as soon as the toolchain is ready. Then you can test *and* get run arch on your router smile ultimately I don't know everything either but this is a great way to learn and have some fun. and ultimately other's wont have to worry either. The plan is to have installable packages for people. So they dont have deal with the redundant gentoo, buildroot, scratchbox approach

#31 2008-05-06 12:40:54

zio

idjut wrote:

Great. Will deffo try this. I like the philosophy of dsl, but this looks more interesting with arch in the base. Cheers!

Great, let us know how it works out, or if you have any problems.

#32 2008-06-01 15:49:39

Spider.007

This seems like the perfect way to install archlinux on a tvix m6500; do you think that might work? That device also uses an ARM processor so I guess I'll be clfs-ing as well

#33 2008-06-01 16:09:37

zio

checkout the www.uarch.org website for installations instructions. clone the git repo and have a look at abs/cross/i686 and abs/cross/armv5l the armv5l is in devel but you can pickup and help with it if you like.

#34 2008-06-19 15:40:21

setti

i bought a NSLUG2 from linksys these days. its running on an ARM environment.

I would be glad to test your devel packages from uArch for ARM.

i already checked out your sources and tried to compile cross-gcc-armv5l via ABS but i got some errors.

1st: md5 checksum error on tip.tar.bz2.
2nd: error while building:
here a log, sorry but it is in german. i guess you could understand it.

==> Beginne build()...

sha1sum: /home/setti/aur/nslug/uarch/abs/cross/armv5l/cross-gcc-armv5l/src/firmware-9db12e74a380/sources/packages/binutils-*.tar*: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Extracting 'binutils-*.tar*'tar: /home/setti/aur/nslug/uarch/abs/cross/armv5l/cross-gcc-armv5l/src/firmware-9db12e74a380/sources/packages/binutils-*.tar*: Kann open nicht ausführen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
tar: Nicht behebbarer Fehler: Programmabbruch.

mv: Aufruf von stat für „/home/setti/aur/nslug/uarch/abs/cross/armv5l/cross-gcc-armv5l/src/firmware-9db12e74a380/build/temp/*" nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Exiting due to errors
cp: Aufruf von stat für „build/cross-compiler-armv5l/*" nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
==> FEHLER: Build fehlgeschlagen.
    Breche ab ...
setti@Lappy:~/aur/nslug/uarch/abs/cross/armv5l/cross-gcc-armv5l $ ls /home/setti/aur/nslug/uarch/abs/cross/armv5l/cross-gcc-armv5l/src/firmware-9db12e74a380/sources/packages/
insgesamt 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 setti setti  6 19. Jun 17:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 setti setti 94 19. Jun 17:24 ..

I need some help, on how to begin to prepare a system for running on my NSLUG2.

Thx in advance....

#35 2008-06-19 18:04:33

zio

Hi Setti:

I was able to translate this enough. The problem occurs do to the way firmware downloads it sources.

I assume you figured out createing ~/package ~/sources and ~/native-sources.

I kind of tricked firmware into caching the source packages. But I forgot that for some firmware/cross packages download.sh needs to be run. Anyways to make a long story short I updated the PKGBUILD to pull the needed sources. All you have to do is update the git tree to get the new package build.

Also the package in armv5l are very much in development. However if you have some free time to look at i686 it should give you an idea what needs to be done for armv5l. A bit of steep learning curve I know, and I don't have documentation quite yet since it not 100% complete on how things get done. Either way plug away at it. And I'll answer any questions you have. either on #uarch/#archlinux or you can use our mailing list at http://www.uarch.org/wiki/MailingList

#36 2008-06-19 22:37:38

LTSmash
Website

It would be great that when base is finished and we have a complete environment to release a DSL like live-cd based on this, with a light conf.

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#37 2008-06-19 22:57:04

zio

base, is complete. But I'd like to see more testers/users/devels before I can look at some sort of release. My eyes is not enough at this point.

#38 2008-07-07 09:03:51

mirr0r

hi,
link to: http://www.uarch.org/wiki/ and http://www.uarch.org/

post this output:

TypeError

send_page() takes exactly 1 non-keyword argument (2 given)

If you want to report a bug, please save this page and attach it to your bug report.

* Show debugging information
    * Report bug
    * Visit MoinMoin wiki

I d like try uarch in a pentium 2 with 64 mb ram..
MiK

[OT] zio, are u italian?? [/OT]

#39 2008-07-12 21:05:08

rdmelin

http://www.uarch.org/wiki/ is still down.
I've been watching this project with interest. I hope it is still active.

#40 2008-07-21 20:23:13

solarwind

Your wiki is dead.

#41 2008-07-24 00:21:18

Frem
Website

Since you were working on Kdrive/TinyX, does that mean you're also using BusyBox? And it uses the arch build system? This is like, my dream distro for old machines.

I have a laptop sitting two feet away which is a prime target for this madness, as soon as the wiki and downloads reappear. :-)

#42 2008-08-22 12:44:41

krigun
Website

Any chance of getting that wiki up and running again? Im gonna go LFS on my Beagle Board if I can't put (u)Arch on it..

#43 2008-09-11 03:25:53

paraflu

Hello, krigun

I am also interested in the Beagle Board and the Pandora.
Could you tell me what you paid at the end, including the shipping or
do you know any european shop which offer the board?

Thanks for your answer

#44 2008-09-17 19:44:43

paraflu

Hello,

I hope this project didn`t die or something really bad happened.
So i hope you are on holiday or don`t have enough time.
Regarding the above i hope you are on holiday and have a good time.

What is interesting for me is ,when i play with uclibc at gentoo
a long time ago, there was the the problem to compile firefox,
is this solved?
When i compared the compiling results of o2 to os the file
size is is smaller at os. I think that os has some benefits for smaller
2nd cache system, like the sempron or maybe faster systems
with bigger 2nd level caches. Soo-----
What parameters do you compare at your filesize test?

When i thought about ulibc against glibc it`s about the
better oversight about the lib, but at file-system-size it will
overcome the demands, if the filesystem is over 32MiB. After
that it is only the clearer libc`s which make the the difference.
In my opinion.....
The memory demands are another thing, but maybe you could
clear this is up for me. Because that`s a questions mark for me.
What do you think about squashfs the system? If space-reducing
is demanded that`s the only way to go -- at the moment.
Look at gradgrind`s threads or godane`s.
I mentioned that because of the the lower space demanding and
maybe a newer approach for packages-installing.

So keep up your good work.
I will keep up looking for it, because i`am very interested in
it and i hope you will continue your efforts.

Thanks for your answers

Oh and by-the-way
Deli-linux use uclibc and pacman.
How? - i don`t know, but maybe they could help you,
so that`s why i mentioned it.

#45 2008-09-26 08:42:02

Sigi

Hm, the wiki is still down... What's up with the project? Still alive?
I got my Neo Freerunner two weeks ago and it would be awesome to see Arch running on it smile
What would have to be done to use pacman/arch(/uArch) on an arm processor?

Best regards, Chris

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#46 2009-02-20 00:39:09

MarcoRosso

Is this project dead? I hope not

#47 2009-08-26 12:47:57

zowki
Website

Yep its dead.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL