You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-26 07:40:27

Franz Kafka

Gtkpacman & apps that require root privileges

Hello everyone.

I'm very new to Linux, having been a long time with windows adjusting is taking some time. I've been playing with Arch in a virtual machine for a while and must say I'm quite impressed, but one of the biggest differences from windows, and admittedly the thing that gives me problems most often, is permissions.

I've installed Gtkpacman, but I get an error every time I try to start it from the drop down menu in Gnome. I get something along the lines of "Cannot execute child process gksu." I assume this is because my user account needs root privileges, as I can run it with a command from the terminal, but it seems like it's missing the point if I have to be in the terminal to run the pacman graphical frontend, right?

So what I'm wondering is how do I change the settings so that when I click gtkpacman from the menu it prompts for the user password like Ubuntu does? (<--Arch is totally better than Ubuntu in every way tho)

Thanks.

#2 2009-08-26 08:03:35

SpeedVin

Re: Gtkpacman & apps that require root privileges

Franz Kafka wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm very new to Linux, having been a long time with windows adjusting is taking some time. I've been playing with Arch in a virtual machine for a while and must say I'm quite impressed, but one of the biggest differences from windows, and admittedly the thing that gives me problems most often, is permissions.

I've installed Gtkpacman, but I get an error every time I try to start it from the drop down menu in Gnome. I get something along the lines of "Cannot execute child process gksu." I assume this is because my user account needs root privileges, as I can run it with a command from the terminal, but it seems like it's missing the point if I have to be in the terminal to run the pacman graphical frontend, right?

So what I'm wondering is how do I change the settings so that when I click gtkpacman from the menu it prompts for the user password like Ubuntu does? (<--Arch is totally better than Ubuntu in every way tho)

Thanks.

I think you have to install sudo checkout sudo wiki page you got there all info about sudo that you need.

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#3 2009-08-26 08:05:24

RichSelian

You need to install the "gksu" package.

#4 2009-08-26 20:07:03

Franz Kafka

Hey thanks a lot. The Gksu package was what I was missing. Works like a charm now smile

That was so easy; I was getting all worked up to start editing some text files.

Board footer