You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-11 23:49:32

Liquidfork
Member
Registered: 2004-07-07
Posts: 30

changed to xorg no screens found error

Recently i changed to xorg, after going through their config and attempting to startx, i get Fatal error: no screens found. the monitor section of xorg.conf looks like this. 

Secion "monitor"
     Identifier "ViewSonic E70f"  /i'm pretty sure thats the problem, but i dont'                     know what my identifier should be.
     HorizSync 31.5-57.0
     VertRefresh 50,150

EndSection

Offline

#2 2005-01-12 01:07:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

Liquidfork wrote:

Recently i changed to xorg, after going through their config and attempting to startx, i get Fatal error: no screens found. the monitor section of xorg.conf looks like this. 

Secion "monitor"
     Identifier "ViewSonic E70f"  /i'm pretty sure thats the problem, but i dont'                     know what my identifier should be.
     HorizSync 31.5-57.0
     VertRefresh 50,150

EndSection

Identifier is free-form... i could have

Identifier "My Big Fat Stupid Monitor"

if I wanted... your problem is the comma in the VertRefresh... switch it to a dash like HorizSync

Offline

#3 2005-01-12 02:15:41

neotuli
Lazy Developer
From: San Francisco, CA
Registered: 2004-07-06
Posts: 1,201
Website

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

spelling "section" instead of "secion" also helps


The suggestion box only accepts patches.

Offline

#4 2005-01-12 18:02:45

Liquidfork
Member
Registered: 2004-07-07
Posts: 30

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

i fixed all that, the section part was just a typo on my part when writing it here. anyway i think my HorizSync is off. Don't have time to look into it now though.

Offline

#5 2005-01-12 18:48:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
From: behind you
Registered: 2003-10-29
Posts: 7,879
Website

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

Liquidfork wrote:

i fixed all that, the section part was just a typo on my part when writing it here. anyway i think my HorizSync is off. Don't have time to look into it now though.

grab hwd from pacman (pacman -S hwd) and run it... it will detect your monitor settings for you to use

Offline

#6 2005-01-12 20:14:23

Liquidfork
Member
Registered: 2004-07-07
Posts: 30

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

ok, thanks for the hwd tip, but with all those correction i'm still getting the same problem! I wish i could just paste my xorg.conf log, that would be the most help but seeing as i have no access to the forums on the computer where the problem is, i can't help too much.

Edit: I am also getting

Undefined Monitor "ViewSonic E70f" referenced by Screen "Screen 1".

Offline

#7 2005-01-12 20:57:18

cmp
Member
Registered: 2005-01-03
Posts: 350

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

use hwd and then look for a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hwd or something similar, when you just rename it, it should work
edit: run "hwd -s" - it created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hwd for me

Offline

#8 2005-01-12 22:37:25

Liquidfork
Member
Registered: 2004-07-07
Posts: 30

Re: changed to xorg no screens found error

cmp wrote:

use hwd and then look for a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hwd or something similar, when you just rename it, it should work
edit: run "hwd -s" - it created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.hwd for me

that worked smile thankyou.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB