You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-28 10:05:33

warnec

A script for nice program&plasmoid compiling

So I came up with a nice (IMO) idea today - there are many people on kde-look and kde-apps who ask "I have xxx, cannot build, what should I install" and most of the time, the author does not have the same distro, and it's not easy for him to guess the packages' names, so my idea is as follows:

A script which:

1)Ask a user which distro they have (or even better, detect it automatically, but I doubt it's possible)

2)Has a list of required development kde4 packages for this certain distro

3)Does a local package search to see if they are already present

4)If all/some of them are missing, automatically install them and proceed to installing

Of course this would require some contributions from other distros' maintainers, so that we know what's the command to get a package list, to install the package, packages' names etc.

It would be great to support some major distros like:

*opensuse

*arch

*arch kdemod

*kubuntu

*fedora

*pardus

*mandriva
have I missed something ? ;P

What d'you think?

PS.: A script I use to build plasmoid and kde4 apps, but only works provided one already has required development packages :

http://pastebin.ca/1545638

#2 2009-08-28 11:50:08

scio

Re: A script for nice program&plasmoid compiling

Nice in theory, but if people are building things from source they should know they need the development libraries.  More often than not, I would like those people to wait for someone knowledgeable to create a package for that distro for them.

But if you want to continue on this, I would say take a look at interfacing with PackageKit since the cross distro package work is already done.  All you would need is the list for each one to look for.

Board footer