You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-23 23:45:38

dp
Website

kdm -> no gnome ; gdm -> no kde

if i start (init 5 -> setup in /etc/inittab) gdm, it has only gnome or a failsave xterm as "session" -> no kde can be started from gdm (well, it can: start xterm and start startkde ... but that is not the nice solution)

the other way: if i start kdm, i cannot start gnome smothly (no session: gnome)

-> how can i tell gdm, that kde is installed and kdm that gnome is installed? ... i'm trying to setup a system on that work more people, where some like gnome and some kde ... and they want that the server boots in init5 directly (so no startx-solutions :-( ) ... any idea where to set this?

EDIT: a general solution would be nice ... starting icewm and WM from gdm or kdm would be also nice

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-08-24 04:34:01

_JeffG_
Website

Re: kdm -> no gnome ; gdm -> no kde

I can answer the kdm part since that is what I use. 

To add session types.. ala kde, default, failsafe look in KDE Control Center -> Login Manager -> Sessions

On that screen you define session types.  kdm provides those choice listed in that menu and the kdm's Xsession located in /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession takes that imput and does this with it:

sess=$1
shift

case $sess in
    failsafe)
        exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0 $*
        ;;
    ""|default)
        if test -x $HOME/.xsession; then
            exec $HOME/.xsession $*
        else
            sess=kde
        fi
        ;;
esac

# start windowmanager
type "$sess" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "$sess" $*
type "start$sess" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "start$sess" $*
type "$sess-session" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "$sess-session" $*
sess=`echo "$sess" | tr A-Z a-z`
type "$sess" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "$sess" $*
type "start$sess" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "start$sess" $*
type "$sess-session" >/dev/null 2>&1 && exec "$sess-session" $*

# windowmanager not found, tell user
exec xmessage -center -buttons OK:0 -default OK "Sorry, $sess not found."

So, if you add a gnome option to that list, it will try to run in the following order:
gnome
startgnome
gnome-session

Therefore, using the kde example, it fails the first one and then launches startkde.

Also, this tells us that you can simply override 'default' with whatever you want by using a .xsession.  But to provide a system wide gnome entry, figure out what starts gnome and make it fit the above.

Jeff

#3 2003-08-25 04:36:10

ok, thanx ... easy --- dont need gdm if kdm works ...

#4 2003-08-25 12:34:52

Toth

Welp, for anybody who wants to do something similar with GDM, here is how you would do it:

Go to /opt/gnome/etc/dm/Sessions and copy one of the .desktop files. Modify it to reflect that it will start KDE, and change the exec line to "startkde" and it should show up under the GDM sessions list.

#5 2004-01-15 01:27:23

rberry88

Toth wrote:

Welp, for anybody who wants to do something similar with GDM, here is how you would do it:

Go to /opt/gnome/etc/dm/Sessions and copy one of the .desktop files. Modify it to reflect that it will start KDE, and change the exec line to "startkde" and it should show up under the GDM sessions list.

Well my noobism is showing. Can you explain this a little more detailed as to how you get other wm's to start in gdm. I looked in pretty much each and every file in /opt/gnome/ for somewhere that might list a session or xsession choice panel but found nothing. A little guidance as to where I would find an appropriate .desktop file and where to put it so it shows as a choice in gdm.

rberry88

Board footer