You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-24 19:06:42

jlowell

Fluxbox Menu Editing

OK, I've broken down and done a binary install of XFree86 and Fluxbox. sad

At least I can get X up and running properly this way, more than I can say for the source package. I'm using Fluxbox and have run into some strange problems editing ~/.fluxbox/menu so as to execute new packages. I'll write the altered file in nano, it will show it as written, I'll exit but the rightclicked menu doesn't show the new item. I tried editing /usr/share/fluxbox/menu also and got the same result. So I removed Fluxbox and installed Openbox. Similar result: /usr/share/openbox/menu shows a blank file - nothing there yet a menu exits when you rightclick. Weird!

Obviously something's wrong here. Never before have I configured a fluxbox menu without it actually configuring. Anybody know what gives here?

jlowell

#2 2003-08-24 21:02:31

sarah31
Website

Re: Fluxbox Menu Editing

yeah it is a small issue with packaging that has not ben figured out yet. for most of the *boxes in other distros when you install and use a WM you usually have a ~/.openbox (for example) created with all the files you need for manually maintaining as user the WM features such as the menu.

to edit the /usr/share/<some>box/menu you have to edit as root.

to solve all of this what you can do is copy the contents of /usr/share/<some>box to .somebox/ and make sure that it has user permissions. that way you can edit to your hearts delight. this works for waimea and openbox i don't remember fluxbox though cuz it is evil.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-08-25 02:36:57

jlowell

Sarah,

OK, I took openbox off, put fluxbox back on, did the editing you indicated and viola! A configurable fluxbox menu at last. Thanks.

jlowell

#4 2003-08-25 06:14:10

sarah31
Website

no problem. if i knew more scripting i probably would be able to figure out how to set up a post install script that would at least transfer over the files necessary to make the ~/.<some>box/ directories and other rc files.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-08-25 16:55:37

Jagged

fluxbox stores its menus and styles for the users in ~/.fluxbox ~/.fluxbox/styles.  And post install scripts, just add some echo's to remind the user to create their files

Nkawtg...n!

Board footer