You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-21 22:04:28

ztrange

[SOLVED] Using glut instead of freeglut

Hello everybody.

At school, I'm learning about OpenGL. Starting from basics like single / double buffer, graphic primitives, etc. And altough they are using Windows, I'm trying (and succeeding) in using Arch as my platform.

But, I've realized that I'm using freeglut instead of glut (glut.h contains only and include to freeglut.h). And I'm realizing that some things behave in a different way than the Winbugs OpenGL and I'd like to give a try to using OpenGL glut and not freeglut.

Is there a way to do so?

Tahnks in advance

Last edited by ztrange (2009-08-30 03:42:44)

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

#2 2009-08-22 12:49:45

Hohoho

Re: [SOLVED] Using glut instead of freeglut

glut.h includes freeglut_std.h, standart GLUT functions that should be in any implementation.
freeglut.h includes not only that, but freeglut_ext.h, non-standart GLUT functions, which could be unique to this implementation.

So including glut.h is the safest way. Perhaps you could demonstrate the code that behaves differently?

#3 2009-08-30 03:42:29

ztrange

Re: [SOLVED] Using glut instead of freeglut

Well, I'm beginning to understand more and more about opengl running over linux.  The code that behaved in some different in linux and in windows was some test app that aided in learning to draw primitives and basic input listening.

Specifically, the application called glutDisplayFunc not only on start but also everytime I used right-click to open a context menu. I was not calling display function again, nor with glutPostRedisplay or any other method.

Well, I used some variable to clear screen anly the first time the application started and then only if I asked it to be cleared via the menu. Anyway, now I see that the application was not really well-built and was just some bad-architecture to help us understand basic concepts. Now I see that frequently, the grapic content has to be re-drawn many times (per second) while the application is running and I see that the early issue is something that (hopefully) won't cause me any trouble.

However, thanks, Hohoho for helping me understand more about glut and freeglut.

I'll mark this as solved.

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

Board footer