You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-01 14:41:51

magistrate

I just want to get into the desktop environment!

After recently installing Arch Linux0.7.2 , I am stuck at this "myhost login" screen. I type in root, but all it does is log me into root.

I've googled this issue as "my host login arch linux help" to no avail.

I've added users and passwds for users but am unable to get desktop access.

Is there a command I must know in order to access the desktop environment? Perhaps similar to 'startx' as it is in DamnSmallLinux.I cannot last much longer in this DOS environment where i seem only to be chasing my tail!!! mad

#2 2009-09-01 14:44:44

Peasantoid
Website

Re: I just want to get into the desktop environment!

You... don't seem to have read the documentation enough. There is no desktop environment.

Also, you did not just compare Linux to DOS.

Last edited by Peasantoid (2009-09-01 14:45:24)

#3 2009-09-01 14:45:16

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Welcome. Please refer to the Beginners' Guide in the wiki, and download the latest installation media.

#4 2009-09-01 14:51:42

magistrate

Well it seems that i have misunderstood

It does not add up that almost 700 megabytes in a download can be without a desktop.

#5 2009-09-01 14:54:15

sHyLoCk

Misfit138 wrote:

Please refer to the Beginners' Guide in the wiki, and download the latest installation media.

@ magistrate
I even took the pain of providing you the link. Also try to ask for help in a much more polite manner next time.

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2009-09-01 14:54:50)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#6 2009-09-01 14:54:36

Peasantoid
Website

magistrate wrote:

Well it seems that i have misunderstood

It does not add up that almost 700 megabytes in a download can be without a desktop.

What were you downloading? Biggest size I see is 385M.

#7 2009-09-01 15:06:53

magistrate

Look. I really am a nice guy, its just that this has been a frustrating experience for me. We all run into problems where we need another persons help and valued experience. I come with peace to the arch forum.

My frustration is a result of these conditions.

I had ran a google image search of "arch desktop environment" earlier and it appeared that Arch had a DE of some kind. If I dont get arch to work for me I'll probably have to install Windows ME because that is the only setup disk I have - I reformatted my tower and my laptop does not have a cd burner.

#8 2009-09-01 15:12:52

Peasantoid
Website

magistrate wrote:

I had ran a google image search of "arch desktop environment" earlier and it appeared that Arch had a DE of some kind.

Probably because whoever took the screenshot had installed a DE. To quote an oft-repeated saying 'round these parts: 'Arch is what you make it.'

There is no graphical user interface by default. If that's what you want, you install it.

magistrate wrote:

I'll probably have to install Windows ME

Hot damn, that's rough!

#9 2009-09-01 15:13:47

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Many different desktop environments can be installed through pacman.  Arch doesn't come with one installed by default - you have to choose which you want and install it.

You really should read the Beginner's Guide through the provided links, in particular Sections 4: "Install X and Configure Alsa" and 5: "Installing and Configuring a Desktop Environment."

#10 2009-09-01 15:21:52

magistrate

Thank you , i am reading the documentation now and soaking it in. wink

#11 2009-09-01 15:31:21

ArchArael

magistrate wrote:

I come with peace to the arch forum.

And in peace we have greeted you. Arch linux is what you make of it. If you need to install a desktop environment than do it.

Most guys prefer only Window Managers. Window manager just manages windows so you just add software you need to have a functional environment. No programs you will never use, just the ones you need.

Most of us like this way.

Arch linux is all about choices...that's why there isn't a complete desktop environment provided by install disks. Not anybody need it. If you need it just install it.

Other guys have provided you the links to information you need. But, if you do not want to learn and get your hands dirty than you should probably choose Ubuntu.

Ubuntu install provides you a functional desktop environment. Most choices are made for you by Ubuntu developers and the desktop environment you obtain is ready and functional.

But chances are that still in Ubuntu linux, sometimes, you will have to read a wiki to make things work.  So RTFM is a tip you could get also in Ubuntu forum. wink

And trust me, nobody cares if you choose Windows ME over Arch linux. It's your system, it's your choice. smile

If you have real problems that cannot be solved by searching on wiki than ask and plenty of Arch users will try to help you for free.

Last edited by ArchArael (2009-09-01 15:59:11)

#12 2009-09-01 15:39:23

sHyLoCk

ArchArael wrote:

So RTFM is a tip you could get also in Ubuntu forum. wink

Actually you might get banned if you ask someone to "use google" or "RTFM" in ubuntu forums. tongue no n00b bashing! No matter how stupid or irrelevant their questions are.
But yeah coming back to the topic, @ magistrate, you can install KDE,Gnome, Xfce, LXDE or even the window managers! Anything you want, detailed guides have been provided in the wiki. Most [if not all]of your queries will be answered if you search the wiki. It's a great collaborative effort to help each other out!

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2009-09-01 15:40:03)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

Board footer