You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-14 19:13:02

tmadhavan

[Solved-ish] Bit of help with Alsa CVS please?

Hey all.

Just bought a new soundcard because I couldn't get mic or surround sound to work with my superior Hercules Digifire. Stupidly I went for the Soundblaster 24-bit, which has no decent support (yet) for linux either!

So, the mic's not going to work, but I want some sound. So I need alsa cvs which may or may not fix the problem.

I can't use cvs because I'm in uni on a silly network. So I got a repository snapshot and everything ends in ',v'. How do I get rid of these commas so I can compile the new alsa cvs?

Thanks.

T

[thomas@suzy ~]$ ls alsa/CVSROOT/
Attic           config         history    notify,v   syncmail,v   writers
Emptydir        config,v       loginfo    passwd     taginfo
checkoutlist    cvswrappers    loginfo,v  rcsinfo    taginfo,v
checkoutlist,v  cvswrappers,v  modules    rcsinfo,v  val-tags
commitinfo      editinfo       modules,v  readers    verifymsg
commitinfo,v    editinfo,v     notify     syncmail   verifymsg,v

#2 2005-01-14 21:26:04

i3839

Re: [Solved-ish] Bit of help with Alsa CVS please?

If you can use ssh then you can tunnel cvs through ssh.

#3 2005-01-15 01:26:36

tmadhavan

Well I know I can use ssh but not sure whether it's for just on-campus machines.

Cheers for that, I'll check it out. If you know of a quick fix way of doing it off the topf your head, would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.
T

#4 2005-01-15 02:08:52

i3839

You need to have CVS_RSH=ssh exported and use cvs with -d:ext:username@host/etc.. but you'd need a user account on the server for that though (e.g. nobody/anonymous), which in general won't be there. I forgot about that, sorry. :-(  So your best bet seems to find a good ssh account somewhere and do the cvs stuff from there (and copy it with scp or sftp to your pc). What use is cvs if you can't use it anyway? You can just use the snapshots and forget about cvs then.

#5 2005-01-16 13:43:31

tmadhavan

Well that's my problem - I can't use the snapshots because I have no idea how.

There are 'CVS snapshots' which are OK, but they're months old. Then there's 'CVS repository snapshots' which I downloaded and untarred. It gave me all those comma-v files, and I don't know how to get the normal source from that.

I have cvscompile etc but all appended with ',v'.

Also - what will I need an account for? The cvs server or the ssh server? I have a ssh account I can use, I think.

Any ideas?

#6 2005-01-16 15:10:25

i3839

If you have alsa/CVSROOT/ then try to do something like "cvs co" in the alsa dir. Unfortunately I don't know cvs well enough to be very helpful. You have the CVS repository, so I think you could run the cvs server locally and use the cvs client to extract the files from there.

If you want to tunnel the cvs traffic through ssh then you need a cvs account on the server, which you don't have. An alternative is to bypass the whole problem and just use cvs via ssh from somewhere with a sane network. Then you need a ssh account somewhere where you can do the cvs stuff. Or perhaps running cvs through a proxy with socks works, no idea how though. Or send an email to the alsa guys asking for help.

Board footer