You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 09:10:22

awagner

KMS: works in console, not in X11

Hi all,

(I hope this fits better here than in the desktop environments forum, but feel free to move it if you think different.)

I have gotten myself a Thinkpad T400 and want to avail myself of all the advantages that ibm/intel's linux support has to offer there. One of them is KMS. So I went ahead and compiled a new 2.6.30 kernel (config here, with lines that I think are relevant highlighted), with archlinux, tp_smapi, tuxonice and fbcondecor patches. (PKGBUILD here) To my surprise, many a thing worked. Even fbsplash! But what doesn't work is X11.

AFAIU, this is an Intel GM45 Express Chipset with a GMA 4500MHD processor, and a 1200x800x16/32 screen should be possible. I thought that with such intel hardware there should be sufficient support to use KMS?

When I boot, I get nice splashes and a stable console, but when X launches, the screen merely flickers. It looks as though there's something wrong with resolution/refresh rate or what, it's a sort of horizontally skewed interlaced scheme of what should be the normal picture. However, it doesn't hang - I can switch back and forth to console, and even run commands from within X via hotkeys.

Xorg.0.log.old is here (I hope that's the correct one as I've now rebooted to the same kernel/initrd with additional boot options (vga=792 i915.modeset=0) in order to get into X and my browser... The Xorg.0.log of this current, working, session is here, FWIW.).
I am trying without xorg.conf btw.

There are also dmesg and lspci -v logs.

Packages:

extra/intel-dri 7.5-2 
extra/xorg-server 1.6.3-4
aur/xf86-video-intel-git 20090901-1 (also tried with aur/...-newest 2.8.1 and extra/xf86-video-intel 2.7.99.902-1)
extra/dri2proto 2.1-1
extra/libdrm 2.4.12-1
need any other?

Anyone with an idea what's going on?

TIA,
Andreas

[edit: added dmesg and lspci output]

Last edited by awagner (2009-09-03 09:35:30)

Board footer