You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-04 22:48:28

Statix

Weird keyboard problem

Hello archers.

I'm having a weird issue with my keyboard on my HP DV5T laptop. Sometimes, on bootup, the keyboard is not detected and does not work at all. The keyboard will work fine in grub (or windows), but as soon as I begin to boot arch it stops functioning. I can tell because I cannot type when the initscripts are running, while I normally can. When X starts the keyboard still does not work, and the only way to make it work is to reboot.

At first it was seemingly random but after a while I noticed some patterns. If I leave my laptop battery out with the power plugged in (as I do when I leave it at home) the problem never occurs. It only happens when I put the battery in and take it off power, and then try to boot it up. I have to hard shutdown it about 3-4 times and reboot it before the keyboard starts functioning. It also seems to help if I hang around in grub/bios for a while before booting linux.

A weird problem I know. If anyone has any idea what could cause this it would be great. Otherwise, a more specific question: is there any way to "reload" the keyboard detection that runs at bootup? If I could attempt again to detect keyboards after the boot process has gone for a bit it may work. How are the keyboards initially detected upon bootup?

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#2 2009-09-05 07:05:05

djszapi
Website

Re: Weird keyboard problem

Hello Statix!

Is there any related information in your Xlog/errorlog/syslog ?

I don't think to reload would be the real fix for it.

Board footer