You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-05 13:37:14

Zeddi

hda and hdb changes after updating

Hello,
i've reinstalled my "main computer" a few weeks ago after using it for a year or so with OpenBSD. The System is an old IBM Server which i got used a year ago.

I've installed archlinux on an SCSI disk which hangs on an onboard-LSI-Controller.

There is also a bit SATA-Disk which hangs on an PCI-addon-SATA-Controller with an SIL chipset.

Yesterday i've updatet my System with pacman -Syu, and shut it down yesterday evening. This morning my system won't boot, fsck said "Bad Superblock" or so on sda3 which contains my / filesystem. After a few tries i found out that sda which was my scsi system disk and sdb which was my "big" sata drive switched the letters, so after changing the letters in the fstab, everything works fine now, but i'm a bit confused, as i had never such an issue after updating before.

Is this perhaps a bug that i should post anywhere? Or have i missed a threat or a news anywhere that announced this behavior?

Thanks a lot!

I'm not very used to write English since i've left School, so please be patient!

#2 2009-09-05 14:44:39

stryder

Re: hda and hdb changes after updating

The advice these days is to use uuids which are unique to each volume to avoid these types of problems. the wiki on fstab tells you how. No idea why you experienced this though.

Board footer