You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-16 13:54:05

jerem

How to self compile a kernel the Arch way ?

When I do a

pacman -S kernel26

the kernel is installed but when I run a make in /usr/src/linux it does not work. It says there is no makefile

Is there a way of unpacking the Arch kernel source and manually configure it? I mean the latest source, not those in the install CD.

Because when I install the ipw2100 module, it installs in /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH

And if I manually install a kernel from kernel.org, it installs the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.10

This is really annoying and that is why I want to manually compile my kernel, along other reasons like removing stuff I dont need in the kernel and that is enabled by default.

#2 2005-01-16 14:05:46

lucke

Re: How to self compile a kernel the Arch way ?

Here's the nice PKGBUILD for nitro patched kernel, which asks you for the way to create config. The only thing left is to edit it to suit your needs (remove nitro patch or whatever, you could compare it with the genuine kernel26 PKGBUILD). If you possibly want to stick to nitro, I can only add, that nitro2 suits me pretty well, had problems with compiling 3 and 4.

Cheers,

lucke

ps. BTW, maybe Judd should think about replacing the genuine "yes "" | make config" line with that nice user-friendly stuff added by z4ziggy?

#3 2005-01-16 19:16:45

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

lucke wrote:

ps. BTW, maybe Judd should think about replacing the genuine "yes "" | make config" line with that nice user-friendly stuff added by z4ziggy?

And then any automatic building won't work.

All builds should run without any user intervention.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2005-01-16 20:13:42

lucke

Haven't thought about that. Point for you :-)

Cheers,

lucke

#5 2005-01-17 07:44:22

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

plus who needs all that crap when you can just read the PKGBUILD and put a # at the start of the config method you don't want and remove the # from the one you do?

i personally think that PKGBUILDS shoul be as simple and explainitory as possible (where possible) - there really is no need for this ridculously elaborate PKGBUILD when there are numerous PKGBUILD examples all over the wiki and forum.  i also think such PKGBUILDS are anti the arch ethos of non-hand holding.

my own PKGBUILDs for building custom kernels did include a bit of cruft that creates a buildstats file but this was easily removed and clearly commented.

# let's be "user-friendly":

or

# uncomment you prefered config method?

which is more friendly!

i can see the personal challenge in writing a PKGBUILD like that - i did the same for the quake2 PKGBUILDs.  those pkgs were actually much easier to do without PKGBUILDS at all but i did it to see if i could.  i think directing inexperienced people to such pkgbuilds is a bit risky.

:evil:

Board footer