You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-07 02:21:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

intel-phc, phctool, unable to crash my machine

I'm using intel-phc from the AUR, together with phctool-svn. Initially lowering my voltages gave me a nice 6-9 degrees decrease in cpu temps, but with a VID range of 0-42, it seems everything below 26 or so doesn't make a difference. I currently have my system on full load (folding@home-smp) and these are my vids:-

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu{0,1}/cpufreq/phc_vids
0 0 
0 0

Is my processor not lowering its voltage beyond a particular voltage, thus meaning that I can't set it any lower? A few more details:-

My Intel E6750 is a Core2Duo 2.67 GHz (yes, its a desktop)
PHC only shows two speed steps (2.67 GHz and 2.00 GHz), hence only 2 vids shown above

I recall the last time I tried PHC out, or even rmclock on windows, the methodology was to load your CPU and lower voltages till the system became unstable. Has something changed in hardware or PHC itself since then?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer