You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 23:38:15

Darkfire Fox

Best Mirror for Central California?

Hello.  So far in my experimentation with Arch, I've been using "archlinux.unixheads.org" as my default mirror for pacman.  It has good bandwidth, and gives me a reliable 700+ KiB per second on download.  However, the mirror seems to have a really high latency between package downloads.  Pacman typically has to wait up to 10 seconds between packages, which I think is unacceptable.  Downloading KDE4 took 90 minuntes, when it should have taken nine minutes.

Whether this is caused by the mirror, pacman, or some blunder on my part, I'd really like to know.
Insights much appreciated. big_smile

#2 2009-09-06 23:47:01

Acecero

Re: Best Mirror for Central California?

Test all of the US mirrors with rankmirrors and find the best one in your area.

#3 2009-09-06 23:51:23

ozar

You can also check this mirror status page to see how often various mirrors sync:

http://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/mirrorcheck.html

As can be seen by the listing, some of them stay pretty far behind.

oz

#4 2009-09-07 03:24:28

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

locke.suu.edu

The ssu stands for Southern Utah University.  So it is close to you, fast, and usually up todate.  I'm in colorado and find it works the best for me.

Pudge

#5 2009-09-07 05:46:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Reflector should help if you also want to test how up-to-date they are. Its in the AUR, I believe its YAXP (yet-another-Xyne-project).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer