You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-12 01:52:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

YAFFFP (Yet Another Freaking FireFox Post)

Ok, so I've tracked down my firefox issues to two things:
The first was an ndiswrapper problem, solved by upgrading to 1.0rc2

Now my problem is this: Any time either the "Save or Open With..." dialog or the dialog to select where to save a file should normally popup, firefox hangs...

Now, I'm trying to determine what exactly would be causing this...
I'm going to try the "delete profile, remove firefox, reinstall" trick real quick....

#2 2005-01-12 02:44:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: YAFFFP (Yet Another Freaking FireFox Post)

Well, that didn't help... and now I seem to be getting the "run-mozilla.sh 159: Terminated blah blah blah" error that I've seen periodically... so I'll look into that some more.... sigh

#3 2005-01-12 17:09:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ok, I apologize for posting so much about firefox, but I seem to always have issues with it, and I like fixing things.

here was my issue... I'll post a bug after this:

# ldd /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox-1.0/firefox-bin
        ...stripped...
        libmozjs.so => not found
        libxpcom.so => not found
        libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0xb7fd3000)
        libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0xb7fcd000)
        libnspr4.so => /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (0xb7f8d000)
        ...stripped...

Hmmm, if you look in /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox, these libraries are also defined there.  One would assume that if libraries are packaged with an executable, one should use those libraries.  So why are they not found?

# cat /etc/ld.so.conf
#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#

/usr/X11R6/lib

# End of file
/opt/gnome/lib
/opt/qt/lib
/opt/kde/lib

Hmmm... so ld doesn't know this directory exists....

# echo "/opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# ldd /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox-1.0/firefox-bin
        ...stripped...
        libmozjs.so => /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox/libmozjs.so (0xb7f55000)
        libxpcom.so => /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so (0xb7e99000)
        libplds4.so => /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox/libplds4.so (0xb7e96000)
        libplc4.so => /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox/libplc4.so (0xb7e90000)
        libnspr4.so => /opt/mozilla-firefox/lib/firefox/libnspr4.so (0xb7e5c000)
        ...stripped...

Hooray... as far as I can tell it hasn't crashed yet...

firefox does not install it's library directory into ld.so.conf.... filing bug now.

#4 2005-01-13 15:52:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Well, it appears no one else is having the same firefox problems as I... I have recompiled firefox from the PKGBUILD but with --enable-debug and --enable-logging, I'll try to get some stack traces and things....

The fix above, while a good idea, didn't fix anything....

When right-clicking and hitting "save as..." firefox hangs... logging spits out "malformed url" and "aEncodingType is NULL"... time to google....

#5 2005-01-13 17:39:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I'm going to keep updating this thread with my progress and things I've tried....

Just did the NSPR tests (FIREFOX_SOURCE/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/)...
To do this, go to the mozilla/nsprpub/pr/ dir under the firefox source tree... run make, then run ./runtests.sh

This tests the whole NSPR (Netscape Portable Runtime)... mine fails on the following tests:
accept
acceptread
acceptreademu
layer
multiwait

sigh.... I've bugged this in bugzilla too...

When I get home I'll post some stack traces on crashes... and dig through the source code to find the errors too...

#6 2005-01-13 18:31:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ok, doing some source-code diving, it appears most of my problem has to do with getting content encodings....

the nsExternalHelperAppService class attempts to lookup which apps are mapped to which content types, and fails because the content type is null....

hmmm where are these mime (content) types stored at?

#7 2005-01-13 19:48:09

kill

There is an easy fix for all your firefox problems.  Switch to Opera like I did, you won't regret it.

#8 2005-01-13 20:21:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

kill wrote:

There is an easy fix for all your firefox problems.  Switch to Opera like I did, you won't regret it.

tried it on windows... decent browser, but I like firefox... it appears opera is supposed to compete with mozilla and not firefox... I like lightweight.  Hell, I'd use dillo all the time if its rendering was better

-------------------

Quick update.... looking around at the problems and things, it appears that all the issues have to do with mime-type handling... I have removed the mimeTypes.rdf file (as it had no entries execept one empty entry)...

I also grabbed mozplugger just to see if that helps... I'll check when I get home.

#9 2005-01-15 11:41:06

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

[...] looking around at the problems and things, it appears that all the issues have to do with mime-type handling... [...]

I do not have the "open/save" dialog box issue you do.  I'm pretty sure we're both using the same version of Firefox as well, 1.0.

I've experienced total Firefox failure, and quite unrecovable at that, from certain video/audio mime types.  While playing a sweet of audio files, at random times the whole damn thing will lock up harder than a mouthful of "pop rocks" and "jawbreakers".  I don't know whether it's actually a Firefox issue, or maybe a Window Manager/DE one.  I recently updated my DE (XFCE), never switched Firefox versions, and just now recognized that issue.  Hell, maybe it could have something to do with recent kernel/alsa changes, or even a recent GTK update I made.  I really don't know, but I don't think it's a firefox isssue, in my case anyways. 

But, I guess in your case, it sounds more like a GTK/DE problem, especially since it only seems to occur on those 2 particular menu items.  I've had problems in the past with GTK apps using the open/save dialog which hung just like you mention. 

I tried to reproduce your error, but it works fine.  If you post your DE, GTK, and Firefox versions, maybe someone can try to reproduce the error you're getting.

#10 2005-01-15 18:18:57

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I had it hanging on open/save when I compiled with overzealous cflags...

#11 2005-01-15 22:50:28

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Here, I can do open/save without any problem but it freezes when I click on Preferences. Downgrading freetype2 solved the open/save problems (if I remember correctly)

#12 2005-01-16 01:58:56

skoal
Website

Snowman wrote:

Here, I can do open/save without any problem but it freezes when I click on Preferences. Downgrading freetype2 solved the open/save problems (if I remember correctly)

Ahh...actually, I remember having a similiar problem some time ago while using Open Office (about 7 months and several versions ago).  I narrowed it down as well to a freetype2 issue.  Whenever I would select the "font" dialog window, X would lock up hard.  There were 2 sol'ns for me at the time, and 1 was something all NVIDIA card owners should pay attention to:

1. Of course, as you say, I changed the freetype2 libraries and got it working.

2. Then, not satisfied with an older freetype2 library, I put that same library back on and did a little investigation work.  What I discovered to be the source of the problem was this:

Option "RenderAccel" "True"

in my "xorg.conf" file.  I had used this option reliably for some time with my Nvidia card.  However, even their docs say this can cause problems and is unsupported.

* Anyway, just something people might want to keep in mind if they use the Nvidia commercial binary driver and have this option enabled.  It turned out the freetype2 library was just fine, and I had to quit using that option for a while until a newer freetype2 lib came out.

#13 2005-01-16 02:59:48

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I just noticed that the firefox freeze only happen when I am connected.  Similarly, kuickshow works fine when I am offline but when I am  online, it doesn't start at all.

This is strange...  :?

#14 2005-01-16 03:18:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

For the record, I have posted a bug to mozilla's bugzilla.... this happens with both official installers, so it's not just arch....

I'll try downgrading freetype real quick...

#15 2005-01-16 03:28:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ok, turns out this was a freetype issue... weird....

Anyway, I'll post this to bugzilla... going to look into freetype2 details and see what I can determine.... by the way, I recompiled the stock 2.1.7 freetype2 and fonts look alot better than with the patched 2.1.9...

#16 2005-01-16 12:25:08

oscar

kill wrote:

opera-vote++

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#17 2005-01-16 15:49:31

sweiss

Looks like firefox is giving unique problems to everyone smile I also had (and still have) a problem with FireFox and Java 1.5, it simply freezes FireFox. I'm using konqueror now and it works fine. I still miss a lot of firefox's features (such as flashblock and their nice text search), so I hope the KDE people will invest more in making a special konqueror API or something smile

#18 2005-01-16 18:49:01

murkus

sweiss wrote:

Looks like firefox is giving unique problems to everyone smile I also had (and still have) a problem with FireFox and Java 1.5, it simply freezes FireFox.

I'm also having problems with Firefox and Java 1.5. In my case firefox isn't just hanging but crashing. This happens with certain applets but not with all.  :?:

.murkus

#19 2005-01-18 01:42:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok my problem has to do with one of arch's patches... freetype 2.1.7 works and so does the unpatched 2.1.9...

#20 2005-01-18 17:20:18

scarecrow

My only problem with Firefox is that it fails to print properly some non-english fontsets (unfortunately I have a Canon Pixma 5000 printer, so I have to use the Turboprint pseudo-postscript driver via CUPS)- while Konqueror works fine.
As for Opera- courses for horses. To my eye it's just a horribly bloated mess of a browser.

Microshaft delenda est

#21 2005-01-18 20:49:07

zhitch

I`m running 2.6.10-nitro4 and the newest Firefox build..and have no probs...Java 1.5.0-01-1 works..but javaws doesnt work at all sad this is a Java bug btw..and the only "solution" is to go to a beta of Java (tried it but it broke more things than it fixed..but java web start did work LOL)

#22 2005-01-19 00:13:41

scarecrow

zhitch wrote:

I`m running 2.6.10-nitro4 and the newest Firefox build..and have no probs...Java 1.5.0-01-1 works..but javaws doesnt work at all sad this is a Java bug btw..and the only "solution" is to go to a beta of Java (tried it but it broke more things than it fixed..but java web start did work LOL)

The previous java 1.5.0 version did work with Firefox, though, and javaws does not seem to start at all on the 1.5.0.-01-1 package, under any browser (or console). It's the "update1" which seems to have killed the cat.

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer