You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-25 17:37:43

mb

Error loading shared libraries

I installed arch 0.5 recently, and just ran pacman for the first time this weekend.  I made sure pacman itself was up to date, then ran

pacman -Syu 

Included in the list of updated packages was KDE and gcc.  After downloading and installing all updates, I rebooted my machine, and now I'm getting a bunch of errors with KDE startup that all say the same thing:

Error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

I looked in /usr/lib and found libstdc++.so, but not libstdc++.so.5. 

I tried creating a symlink to libstdc++.so, but no luck.  I looked in the gcc package file and see that libstdc++.so.5 is listed in the .filelist file, but the file itself doesn't seem to be in the package.  I also noticed a libstdc++.so.5.0.5 file in the package that doesn't seem to be getting installed in /usr/lib either.

I'm guessing that since gcc appeared in the list of updates first, it was installed first.  Could this have been the problem?  I've tried reinstalling the package by running "pacman -F gcc-3.3.1-1.pkg.tar.gz", but haven't had luck (Is the "freshen" option the same as reinstalling?).

Has anyone else had these problems?

#2 2003-08-25 22:10:13

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Error loading shared libraries

that's an odd one.  The two boxes in front of me have the libstdc++.so.5 file.  Perhaps it just got deleted somehow?  Try re-installing the gcc package, maybe even re-downloading it:

# pacman -Sc
# pacman -Sy gcc

#3 2003-08-26 15:05:32

mb

Re: Error loading shared libraries

Re-downloading and re-installing the package fixed it.  Strange, but I should have tried that first.  Thanks for the help!

Board footer