You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 17:44:32

The Mishanator

Problem installing Archlinux

hello. my computer currently dual-boots fedora 11 and vista. on it, i currently have the following configuration of partitions: a vista partition, a partition where i store data so that i can access from fedora and vista, and the 2 partitions that fedora creates.

my latest exploit of free time has been installing archlinux on my computer. so far this has been a failure.

i would really appreciate some help.

on the fedora forum, it was suggested that since i have 4 primary partitions, of which 1 is an extended partition with one of fedora's logical drives. i created unallocated space within the extended partition, but arch's setup partitioning tool does not recognize the distinction of unallocated space and the logical volume in the extended partition. i've also tried to make a new logical volume with the unallocated space but arch's partitioning tool pops out an error saying that my 2 logical drives overlap or something and refuses to go on.  a screen-shot of my current partition configuration is here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachmen … 1252377966

another thing is that i'd like to keep fedora's grub once i have arch installed.

i'm at a complete loss i would really appreciate help.

Last edited by The Mishanator (2009-09-08 17:49:47)

#2 2009-09-08 19:26:51

mcmillan

Re: Problem installing Archlinux

I think that link may include user specific information since it asks for a login when I click on it, can you edit it in some way to make it more accessible. Without being able to see your setup it's a little hard to give suggestions for what to try, so I'm not much use there. If the partitioner on the install cd is giving you problems you might have a little more luck with a gui partitioner from some other livecd, though it would be less hassle if you can figure out how to do everything within the arch installer.

For your second question about keeping fedora's grub:
It shouldn't be a problem, just don't have the arch installer write to the mbr and then edit your menu.lst in fedora to add an entry for arch.

#3 2009-09-08 20:34:03

The Mishanator

hate to admit it, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to post screenshots on this forum. sorry about that.

#4 2009-09-09 19:03:43

lestoil

Under Fedora check gparted for your partitions list and labels.  Or under Winx>Admin>Disk Mgt would show partions too.  Write that info down.  Windows is (almost)always in a primary partion.  I would expect one HD to have 1)win partion with grub in mbr 2)data partition 3)root partion and 4) linux swap. The swap may be before the root one. 2HDs would be different.  You can either shrink the 1)win. partition or the 3)root partition(preferred and safer) to create another root partition for Arch and use Fedora's grub and swap. Having the 2-4 partitions as logical ones in an extended partition would be best and safest. 
    Four primary partitions would be a different kettle of fish. Be sure before doing any partition changing.
   Gparted comes on a live cd to make setting up partitions easier before installing Arch. The Fedora install/live cd can also create the partitions. Partition Magic would also work. Good luck:)

#5 2009-09-09 19:15:07

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Welcome to Arch Forum.

The Mishanator wrote:

hate to admit it, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to post screenshots on this forum. sorry about that.

Take a look at "Artwork and Screenshots" forum:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79203

Markku

Board footer