You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-10 14:11:17

rainerd66

KDE: Cannot upgrade... whassup?

Hi!

When I try to upgrade Arch Linux with pacman -Suy , it downloads everything but then I get lots of error messages and nothing works! What's up? I heard also about missing dependencies, like upgrading readline will not upgrade bash and the system gets broken... hmmmm...

can I upgrade savely?

I get masses of such error messages:

kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about/plugins.html exists in filesystem                                        
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about/plugins_rtl.html exists in filesystem                                    
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about/specs.html exists in filesystem                                          
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about/tips.html exists in filesystem                                           
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about/top-left-konqueror.png exists in filesystem                              
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc exists in filesystem                                              
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_connect.png exists in filesystem                                
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_empty.png exists in filesystem                                  
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_noconnect.png exists in filesystem                              
kdebase-konqueror: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_viewactive.png exists in filesystem

many thanks for any tips...

#2 2009-09-10 14:21:10

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: KDE: Cannot upgrade... whassup?

What does a pacman -Qo on those files tell you?

#3 2009-09-10 14:31:50

rainerd66

something like:
pacman -Qo /usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_noconnect.png
/usr/share/apps/konqueror/pics/indicator_noconnect.png is owned by kdebase 4.2.4-1

ah..., is it because I did a restore of an older backup? The newer KDE files were not deleted and now they cause trouble?
this readline problem (I just upgraded CUPS what upgraded readline) broke my KDE and I had to restore.

maybe I can force an override? ... have to check the pacman manual...

#4 2009-09-10 14:40:11

patrickaupperle

Well, I am not sure if it is safe (it probably is not), but what I did in a scenario similar to that was just to delete those files with rm. You could try that. Like I said, though, it may not be safe, but it did work for me.

#5 2009-09-10 14:41:36

Pierre
Developer
Website

Don't force anything. What did you restore? The whole /? Didn't pacman ask you to replace kdebase etc. on pacman -Syu?

#6 2009-09-10 14:49:39

rainerd66

too late...
I am running pacman -Sfu right now. :)
Yeah, I restored the system partition with xfsrestore, but it will not delete files, only override the one's from the backup, I think. So, when pacman does the check it will complain about some files already in the filesystem.

I think forcing an override is easier than to delete all the files by hand...?

Well, I will see :)

Last edited by rainerd66 (2009-09-10 16:35:41)

#7 2009-09-10 14:56:37

Pierre
Developer
Website

If xfsrestore really works that way, your install is broken. Using -f just made it worse. Now you filesystem and pacman db is inconsistent.

#8 2009-09-10 16:33:39

rainerd66

oh damn...
yeah, after upgrade all the icons are missing...

so what to do now?

deleting and reinstalling everything? like pacman -Rcn KDE or something?

#9 2009-09-10 16:41:04

Pierre
Developer
Website

reinstalling Arch would be the easiest solution; I don't know what else you broke when copying the old files over.

Board footer