You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-10 15:07:18

hauntergeist

Software requirements for HTPC

Hello.
I'm planning to build my own HTPC based on Linux and I'd like to know, what software is required to get htpc functionality. I'm not sure, what os I am going to use - probably it's Arch wink

What I expect from my htpc:
- play and/or record TV shows on HDD (from DVB-T or Satelite or Internet)
- play and/or record DVDs on HDD
- can be controlled via an infrared remote control. (I need a keyboard and a mouse anyway to configure the system, but a remote is very comfortable.)
- share photos, music and videos over the LAN (probably via SAMBA ?)

I think this is the most essential stuff. What DE should I use? It should start up fast and not consume too much from the resources.

Greetz,
haunted

#2 2009-09-10 17:02:26

techprophet

Re: Software requirements for HTPC

That isn't DE stuff. Individual apps do those.

If you already have the TV Shows / DVDs on your HDD, then playing them is not a problem as long as ripped them as media files and not ISOs (which still isnt too huge a problem). XBMC plays music & movies nicely on my computer. As far as samba goes, simply setup shares for the folders your files are located in and they will be accesible on the network.

If you never intend to see the Desktop, an 'ugly' WM such as FVWM or Fluxbox will work. Otherwise I recommend KDE.

Infrared remotes are not my area.

I recently setup a media server for a friend, complete with HTPC frontend. I used mediatomb for music streaming over their phat internet, Samba for local stuff (movies and music), XBMC as the frontend. We didn't do a remote though. All of this ran on Arch x86_64. Works like a charm. I set the HTPC to bootup, connect to the network, start FVWM and XBMC on top of that.

#3 2009-09-10 18:17:08

hauntergeist

Thanks. XBMC seems suited for playing vids and music. Meanwhile I found MythTV as a hdd-recorder.

techprophet wrote:

That isn't DE stuff. Individual apps do those.

My worst dreams come true ... wink No, not really, I know that the placing of my question concerning DEs is misleading. A HTPC should - in most cases - replace the common dozen devices used formerly. Therefor a htpc should start up fast and I've read in a few threads that the users use openbox in this case. But I wouldn't like to miss the fancy DE-features like auto-mounting and the like. That's why I asked for a recommendation for a (lightweight) DE. I'll see if I need those features and will also take a WM (fluxbox, openbox) if it will make the job.

techprophet wrote:

... , complete with HTPC frontend.

What do you mean with "HTPC frontend"?

Last edited by hauntergeist (2009-09-10 18:18:44)

#4 2009-09-10 20:48:40

anrxc
Website

If you want to keep it simple (but no less powerful) take a look at VDR (DVB Video Disk Recorder) and Oxine (OSD Xine frontend for everything else).

Edit: forgot about the window manager, Matchbox (WM for embedded platforms such as HTPC/STB systems).

Last edited by anrxc (2009-09-10 20:52:10)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#5 2009-09-10 21:28:28

hauntergeist

Yae, matchbox sounds and looks really cool, perfectly suited for a htpc. Thanks.

Besides I have found two webistes about remote control installations.
Lirc, the main base for ir-remote-control-support
The Linux HTPC HowTo - a bit old, but full of experience

Board footer