You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-19 07:33:38

djhizz
Website

server

i work in a company of web design.the server is on windoes 2000 pro and the pc with the server is also used by a designer and it is very difficult for him to work in those conditions.now, me and a another guy from work , we want linux on a differant computer.i said:"i will put arch, i have arch for a year now and it is one of the best disrto ever."but, i do not know a lot abot rooting and aother stuff like that .i have some questions:
1)is arch good for server for 8 computers (lan networking)?
2)how can arch work on the pc and, in the same time ,the guy from the pc work on windows (because :photoshop,illustrator...etc...etc)i mean...not vmwear (or something like that tongue)
3)what pack do i need so that arch can become a server?
4)what other things can u tell me for this issue of mine ? wink

thanks a lot!

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#2 2005-01-19 08:21:48

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: server

djhizz wrote:

i work in a company of web design.the server is on windoes 2000 pro and the pc with the server is also used by a designer and it is very difficult for him to work in those conditions.now, me and a another guy from work , we want linux on a differant computer.i said:"i will put arch, i have arch for a year now and it is one of the best disrto ever."but, i do not know a lot abot rooting and aother stuff like that .i have some questions:
1)is arch good for server for 8 computers (lan networking)?
2)how can arch work on the pc and, in the same time ,the guy from the pc work on windows (because :photoshop,illustrator...etc...etc)i mean...not vmwear (or something like that tongue)
3)what pack do i need so that arch can become a server?
4)what other things can u tell me for this issue of mine ? wink

thanks a lot!

Whoah..you need a visit from the punctuation junkie..

Rooting? Do you mean routing?

1) Arch is only as good as the person configuring it. I would recommend you inquire about the policies at your place of employment. They might have a service contract with Redhat or with Novell(suse) for servers on the back end. In such a case, it would be advisable to use a system covered under such a contract..you might not be the only person ever having to deal with the system in question.
If, on the other hand, this is more of a test setup to see how it pans out, then use whatever distribution you feel most confident with.

2) ?
wha? If you are using windows specific apps, then...duh. use windows. If you can get away with using gimp/evolution/etc, then by all means. Don't use a rock to fix a window though..

3) pack? If you are asking what software to use to make arch a server, then I would ask you what need you are trying to fulfill.

4) Do your research. Find out exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Once you have a set of goals, you can then start searching for ways to achieve said goals.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-01-19 16:05:18

ravster
Website

Question 1: What is the current server used for?
Question 2: The server is used by another designer as a workstation. And this person is having difficulties with this setup. Am I understanding this correctly?
Question 3: What is the new(linux) server to be used for? What will it provide that the current one does not?
Question 4: Are you talking about a total of 3 people(including you) or 2 people?(Just curious, the main question to answer is the 3rd one.)

#4 2005-01-19 16:41:00

djhizz
Website

ravster wrote:

Question 1: What is the current server used for?
Question 2: The server is used by another designer as a workstation. And this person is having difficulties with this setup. Am I understanding this correctly?
Question 3: What is the new(linux) server to be used for? What will it provide that the current one does not?
Question 4: Are you talking about a total of 3 people(including you) or 2 people?(Just curious, the main question to answer is the 3rd one.)

1)windows 2000 pro
2)that is corect
3)stability big_smile
4)2 people

#5 2005-01-19 17:02:49

ravster
Website

Oops, there's a misunderstanding. I want to know why you are using the server, as in what  services does it provide, instead of which OS is being used.

For example:
Do you use it for printing?
Or data storage?(All the files and stuff everyone works on are stored on that particular machine)
etc, etc...(I don't know anything about pretty much anything, just tell us what you are using the server for.)

Once we know this, it will be easier to find out what you need to set up on the arch(or whatever) server.

#6 2005-01-19 19:14:02

oscar

If I understood your issue right - you have a computer running win2k, that shares your internet connection, and you want a linux server doing that job, instead?

I think my 266 MHz would do the job, even with 20 people behind the firewall smile

Anyways - what you need to configure the server properly, is a basic understanding of network topology (ie, you need to have some basic knowledge about networking), and a iptables manual.
I don't like that last part (iptables tongue), and I'm too lame to run ipf, ipfw or pf (bsd packet filters), so I use firehol, it's a bash script that creates iptables-rulesets - easy to configure, easy to administer and easy to learn - and it creates some really nice rules!
You need bash, iptables and iproute to make it work.
http://firehol.sf.net

Good luck! smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#7 2005-01-19 21:30:59

djhizz
Website

10x .u are right.that is what i am trying to do.i know very well how to install and run arch, excepting the server part (zero=0 tongue).i will read the link and other links.i am hoping for the best.i will write next time i will have a problem theank very much.

Dj 19.01.2005     wink

Board footer