You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 22:35:33

rubaka

GNU Screen statusbar on top

I was wondering if I could move the "statusbar" i screen to be at the top of the terminal? Instead of having it at the bottom. I mean there are only two useful placements of this statusbar. It feels like one should be able to move it...

But from what I've come across so far it doesn't look promising. The following mailing-list post is the closest I've got to an answer (not good enough):
http://www.mail-archive.com/screen-user … 00384.html

Anyone?

(As a side note: The reason i want the screen statusbar (which shows the windows as well as the current active window) at the top is because it makes more sense in my setup. My wm have it's list of applications at the top of the screen/monitor/display/whatever. Firefox have it's tabs at the top of its window, and so does vim (and probably more applications). I figured out that the "navigation system" is more visually organized if all applications follows the same "positioning-convention". Consider the following hierachy finally leading to a tab in vim: X application (terminal with screen) > Screen window (vim) > Tab in vim. Everything is aligned in a logical/hirachical order close together at the top region of my computer screen. I hope you get the picture.)

#2 2009-09-08 23:34:32

SamC
Website

Re: GNU Screen statusbar on top

Build screen with the ABS, and edit the config.h to enable the top statusbar.

#3 2009-09-10 22:42:58

rubaka

I can't get it to work.

Added this line to config.h (and I made sure the #undef TOPSTAT wasn't uncommented):

#define TOPSTAT

When it didn't work I further went into ansi.h and "harddefined" STATLINE (which is normally defined by TOPSTAT) to:

#define STATLINE (0)

And that didn't work either, wtf?

Edit: It's screen-4.0.3 that I'm trying to modify and build.

Last edited by rubaka (2009-09-10 22:45:11)

#4 2009-09-10 22:55:12

SamC
Website

Sorry, I've reached the end of my knowledge. Perhaps use a tabbed terminal emulator and connect to the screen session multiple times?

#5 2009-09-10 22:57:20

rubaka

Hmm... I think it may be working as it should... But it's not what i expected. The status messages from screen aka. hardstatus will end up on top of the terminal.

To use the correct screen terminology it is the "caption" line i want at the top. I.e. the bar with my screen windows listed.

Edit: As a side note I can add that you can't have the hardstatus always visible at the top. Only messages (that will be overlayed) can be shown. For a always visible hardstatus line the "alwayslastline" option is to be used and there is no way to make it static at the top of the terminal that I know of.

Last edited by rubaka (2009-09-10 23:35:39)

#6 2009-09-10 23:28:37

rubaka

Knowing the right terminology my next find is:

http://www.nabble.com/Caption-at-the-to … 06129.html

I may try to modify the source later. But it didn't seem trivial to do at a first look.

Yeah. Tabbed terminal. Maybe make each terminal tab attach to it's own window but within the same screen. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Board footer