You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-07 12:13:24

habbe

Obmenu does not show/save "execute" -commands

Even if I make a new entry directly modifying menu.xml the program obmenu does not show the execute command for this entry, it is empty. The menu itself works. I can add

<item label="newprogram">
<action name="Execute">
<execute>
command
</execute>
</action>
</item>

and the menu will work, but obmenu shows nothing where 'command' should be. I can then write whatever to this entry in obmenu, save, close and open obmenu again, and the entry is still empty.

This is weird, because in some cases obmenu works as it is supposed to. Maybe it has broken at some point and new modifications do not work and old ones do? Is anyone experiencing this problem?

#2 2009-09-07 13:22:40

thisoldman

Re: Obmenu does not show/save "execute" -commands

Have you run "Reconfigure" from the Openbox menu.

If that's not available you've deleted its menu entry. Restart the Openbox session and see if your new menu works.

#3 2009-09-07 14:36:56

habbe

thisoldman wrote:

Have you run "Reconfigure" from the Openbox menu.

If that's not available you've deleted its menu entry. Restart the Openbox session and see if your new menu works.

Yes, reconfigure does not help.

#4 2009-09-07 15:32:15

thisoldman

Check your ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml code online with an XML validation tool. I'd suggest http://www.xmlvalidation.com/ or http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload.  My most common mistake is forget  to place xml close comment markers, "-->",  and that throws off the whole menu from the open comment marker onward. I've switched to an editor with syntax coloration for xml to avoid that.

Here are two more possible solutions

1. Backup your current menu.xml file.  Then run obmenu, available from community, and generate the desired menu changes using that tool. You can run a diff on the obmenu generated xml file and your backup to see where an error you might have made occurs.

2. Backup your current menu.xml file. Use mmaker, from AUR, to generate a menu.  Mmaker picks up a lot of programs you don't particularly want listed and sorts them to its own categories.  However, it will give you a menu that you can edit by deletion and cut and paste.

If those don't work something is seriously wrong with the openbox installation.

Last edited by thisoldman (2009-09-07 15:33:55)

#5 2009-09-10 06:12:39

habbe

The code is valid. I've reinstalled obmenu several times, so it should be up-to-date. If anyone else hasn't experienced this then it is very weird. To me it seems like an obvious obmenu bug.

#6 2009-09-10 11:25:00

thisoldman

It's hard for me to write this so it's clearly explained.

In the ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml file, at the top of the file, there is something called "id" and it must be defined. This has to be a unique identifier.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/3.4/menu">

<menu id="root-menu" label="OpenBox 3">

--- Omitted ---

</menu>

In the ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml file there are actions named "ShowMenu" and these must contain the unique identifier specified in "id". If the named menu doesn't exist, the menu won't show.

<mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
  <action name="ShowMenu">
    <menu>root-menu</menu>
  </action>
</mousebind>

There are also menu ids in subsections that must be uniquely defined or things turn sour on you .

The default example (skeleton) openbox menu.xml and rc.xml  are in /etc/xdg/openbox. They can be copied to your .config/openbox/ and then you start over completely fresh.

#7 2009-09-10 11:59:16

kgas

I also confirm the same problem. If a new menu / new item created then execute window is showing up. Creating a menu.xml from scratch is working but a tedious work.

#8 2009-09-10 17:52:24

thisoldman

You can try mmaker (menumaker). It's in the AUR. Then you'll have nearly all your programs listed and your editing task will be to delete or to comment out items.

#9 2009-09-10 23:46:27

thisoldman

I have tried to reproduce this, but everything works fine for me.

I'm running openbox 3.4.7.2-2 on x86_64 with tint2, feh for wallpaper and no DE. I start openbox in ~/.xinitrc with"exec ck-launch-session openbox-session".  I log in from a terminal, then start openbox with either "startx" or "xinit".

I just added Traverso to a submenu.  I usually run Traverso from dmenu. The code I added was:

<item label="Traverso">
        <action name="Execute">
          <execute>/usr/bin/traverso</execute>
        </action>
      </item>

After invoking "Reconfigure", the menu item appeared and Traverso ran when clicked.

I'm stumped.

#10 2009-09-11 00:26:33

sand_man

Same problem here. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

neutral

Board footer