You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 18:21:37

Napaim

Xorg + catalyst initial setup

Hello.

An update recently broke catalyst, then the pacman repository went down and since then I have been unable to get catalyst and X working to the same standard, if at all.
There are a few games that I play that need the 3D acceleration to make them playable so using the open source drivers is a last resort that I don't really want to resort to!
I have followed the wiki and read many posts on this forum but I can't for the life of me work it out, and I'm getting fed up of walking round my table to get to the reset button when I get the black screen of death!

From reading it seems as simple as:
hwd -xa && aticonfig --initial
it works with the vesa driver with hwd (just need to get kbd / mouse working, but I can deal with that myself once the catalyst drivers work) but when I use aticonfig I end up black screen'd and have to reset.
I completely removed xorg (pacman -R xorg) and catalyst / catalyst-utils from the AUR.
I cleared the pacman cache and reinstalled xorg as well as catalyst-utils and catalysts again from the AUR, but still the same black screen.
X -configure politely informs me that it's caught error 11 and won't generate an xorg.conf.
hwd -xa does make me a working xorg.conf but it's using vesa.
I also tried nothing but aticonfig --initial but that was the same black screen.

I'm stumped as to where to go from here, do I need to go through trial and error modifying the xorg.conf after aticonfig has modified the hwd generated one until I find changing something that works?
I'd like a log to work on as well, but /var/log/Xorg.0.log (iirc) contains nothing at all after I do a hard reset. sad

I'm using a 4850HD on x86_64 arch. I've made sure that xf86-video-(radeonhd|ati) are not installed as they were previously so I don't think that's interfering.

Looking for any help you can throw my way! I've deleted all the xorg.conf's and would like to see how to get everything working from start to finish. I'm at a loss sad

And a quick question: does catalyst only provide the fglrx.ko driver? I couldn't find a good definition of how the package is different from catalyst-utils.

Thank you!

Board footer