You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-07 11:59:25

jensp

Arch Linux on i586 resurrected

Hey everyone,
I'm starting another attempt on getting Arch Linux ported to i586. I have all of core done except for heimdal, klibc-udev and klibc-kbd. Sadly these are big showstoppers as heimdal is required for openssh and klibc-udev and klibc-kbd are needed for mkinitcpio.
If there are other people interested in getting arch on i586 I'd really appreciate some help in getting these issues fixed. My interest in i586 is mainly for small embedded machines, so I won't be running X. However I'm going to compile and package it, but if you want X on i586 I'll need your feedback. You can watch the current progress of packages built  at http://chaox.net/~jens/arch-i586/. I will add a repo as soon as I have completed [core].

I hope this project will work out better than the previous attempts. Thanks to proc for giving me a nice toolchain to start from btw smile

Here are the build failed build logs for klibc-udev and klibc-kbd respectivly. If you have any ideas on what could be going wrong I'd really like to hear them.

http://chaox.net/~jens/klibc-udev.log

http://chaox.net/~jens/klibc-kbd.log

Thanks for reading,
Jens

EDIT: I sort of fixed klibc-kbd by creating a bullshit ferror function.

sed -i "s|<stdio.h>|<stdio.h>\n#define ferror(x) 0|g" configure

This means I have everything working except for klibc-udev, I'd really appreciate some help on that.

EDIT2: Got the klibc-udev package to build, after removing the last part of the udev-fix-klibc-build.patch, next step is making a ISO smile

Last edited by jensp (2009-09-07 23:13:46)

#2 2009-09-07 13:05:01

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Arch Linux on i586 resurrected

I added a link to a patch that fixes heimdal on the bug tracker.   Given I expect a new heimdal release soon, I am in no rush to rebuild it just to include that patch...

#3 2009-09-07 13:10:48

jensp

Sweet thanks, thats one problem down smile

#4 2009-09-08 15:09:41

jensp

I've got it successfully running on my PC Engines WRAP now. I didn't build any release media, yet, I'll probably do that later this evening. You can install it by following the Install From Existing Linux Guide on the Wiki, using the following entries in pacman.conf:

[core]
Server = http://chaox.net/~jens/arch-i586/core
[extra]
Server = http://chaox.net/~jens/arch-i586/extra

I'll get the rest of extra building as far as it's feasible and will build whatever you want from community. If you want to help out come join #archlinux-i586 or post in this thread.

#5 2009-09-10 18:35:46

timttmy

Very cool.
I started cross compiling packages from the abs last weekend to update my very out of date Lowarch box (amd K-6 500), but decided it was a hell of a lot more work than I was prepared to do, to keep one old machine I don't use that much going.

I salute you

Thanks for the repos

This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours

#6 2009-09-12 23:26:21

jensp

Thanks for the positive feedback. If you want some specific packages built feel freeto ask smile

I now have proper install media up at http://chaox.net/~jens/arch-i586/iso/ if somebody feels brave  wink

#7 2009-09-13 11:55:16

zowki
Website

Instead of starting a new i586 fork, why not help out the poor guys in the other failed projects and become the maintainer?

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#8 2009-09-13 12:01:49

jensp

I asked the guy maintaining the google code project and he was willing to share some knowledge, however he seems to be very busy in the moment and I didn't get a reply to my last email. And lowarch seems to be very dead, if you know how to reach the previous maintainer, please send me a PM.

#9 2009-09-30 15:43:05

KlavKalashj

I am very happy for this! Finally I can get Arch running on my VIA C3. I see on your page, there is images to download. Will these run the normal installer and install a complete base system?

#10 2009-09-30 15:56:18

jensp

Yes they will, at least they should, the only i586 machine I have has neither VGA nor a CDROM, but other people reported success with the images. Please report back if you run into any issues.

#11 2009-10-13 11:22:40

Calimero
Website

That's really cool !

I had recompiled myself about 10% of the repos for i586 (working Xorg and some apps)
Core passed totally ! Maybe my packages will interest you (they are 3 months old).

http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/arch586
http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/arch586/repo

Last edited by Calimero (2009-10-13 11:23:15)

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?

#12 2009-10-13 17:08:00

jensp

Thanks, but I have already built all those packages I think, if you are interested in helping out, feel free to send me a PM/Email or ping me on irc.

#13 2009-10-13 23:03:26

filoktetes

jensp wrote:

And lowarch seems to be very dead, if you know how to reach the previous maintainer, please send me a PM.

Lowarch is very unmaintained, as you say. But I'm still here smile I had to leave the work with Lowarch since my work and studies became very very hectic for a while. It isn't as bad now, though, but it would take a lot of effort to put Lowarch bach on it's feet as it were...
What I would like to say is that if there's anything I could do to help Arch on i586, just tell me. I have of course a lot of experience searching for patches to make old packeges compile, and I have a backup of the whole Lowarch system (quite old now, but if there's anything you would need, I can sendt it...).
I just noticed that all my email addresses, both in the forum and elsewhere, are old, and I don't check them anymore. I've updated the one for the forum now, so it's possible to reach me. Sorry for that.

#14 2009-10-17 11:10:23

jensp

Sorry, for not replying earlier, but I've been a bit busy with reallife stuff lately. So far most problems about compiling packages have been fixed. I'm taking care of [core] and [extra] quite well I think, but if you anyone wants to become a regular maintainer of certain packages that would be awesome. The main way to contribute is currently to use and test it and suggest/build packages for [community]. Calimero suggested on irc to implement a voting mechanism for deciding which [community] packages need building, if someone feels like coding that, it would be very cool smile

#15 2009-10-24 19:03:04

tkgafs

Hello,

hopefully someone can help me I'm trying to install archlinix i586 on an old compaq tc1000 tablet device

but I am having problems installing packages from the extra repository

If I try and install firefox it fails because it cannot find xulrunner but if I browse the http://repo.archlinux-i586.org/extra/ I can see the correct package is there

Similarly i can see wicd is in the repository but pacman cannot find it

If I download the file http://repo.archlinux-i586.org/extra/extra.db.tar.gz to examine it, it seems to stop at the package snd with nothing later in the alphabet than that

As a new archlinux user am I doing something wrong or is the db file incomplete

I have run pacman -Syy and pacman -Syu several times in each case it appears to update core, extra, community and misc as I have configured in pacman.conf

thanks in advance

Tkgafs

#16 2009-10-26 14:36:43

jensp

Woops, sorry about that, I run a repo-add while the harddisk was full and it apparently truncated the database file. I'm recreating it right now, will take a while...

Edit: Should be working now, sorry again, I'll make backups more regularly in the future.

Last edited by jensp (2009-10-26 21:38:32)

#17 2009-10-27 09:25:36

tkgafs

Pacman is still failing on the extra repository it appears that the db has not been gzipped so pacman can't find it

it seems to be sitting there called extra.db rather than extra.db.tar.gz

Thanks for all your work on this so far though

Tkgafs

#18 2009-10-27 11:53:00

jensp

Damn that was stupid, thank you - really fixed now smile

#19 2009-11-07 18:26:59

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I tried downloading the netinstall.img file for my netbook, but it didn't even boot. It left me with a blinking prompt in the corner and nothing more. When i booted a regular install file it brought up grub and didn't complain until i tried to boot the installation.
It is a Gecko Edubook from norhtec, but i bet the problem must be with your liveusb cause the 686 worked.

#20 2009-11-07 19:57:55

jensp

Thanks for reporting, I'll have a look at it, my i586 box only has a compact flash drive so testing images isn't very easy. I'll get some new hardware soon so I'll be able to run some VMs for testing.

#21 2009-11-08 23:41:27

hatten

I downloaded core and redownloaded netinstall. Neither worked, so there wasn't a corrupt download.

Last edited by hatten (2009-11-08 23:42:02)

#22 2009-11-16 18:53:38

hatten

When is this soon? wink

#23 2009-11-16 22:22:19

knedlyk
Website

I installed arch-i586 using wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … her_distro. Everything went fine, but I noticed, that i have to change http://chaox.net/~jens/arch-i586/$repo to http://repo.archlinux-i586.org/$repo in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorslist to allow update, upgrade and install i586 packages properly.
@jensp, could you also build packages for wireless network, ple-e-e-ease?

Last edited by knedlyk (2009-11-16 22:31:25)

#24 2009-11-27 00:28:03

hatten

Currently trying to install with the help from the post above, but i cannot understand that this thing fails to find /dev/null.
During installation from my arch box onto the sd.

(  3/105) upgrading glibc                           [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
ldconfig: Can't open configuration file /etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
/tmp/alpm_trYnGl/.INSTALL: line 42: vercmp: command not found
/tmp/alpm_trYnGl/.INSTALL: line 42: [: : integer expression expected
Generating locales...
Generation complete.
/tmp/alpm_trYnGl/.INSTALL: line 122: /dev/null: No such file or directory
error: command failed to execute correctly
(  4/105) upgrading attr                            [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
(  5/105) upgrading acl                             [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
(  6/105) upgrading ncurses                         [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
(  7/105) upgrading readline                        [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
(  8/105) upgrading bash                            [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_3uInDd/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
(  9/105) upgrading zlib                            [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 10/105) upgrading binutils                        [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_3Hqei6/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 11/105) installing bzip2                          [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 12/105) upgrading cracklib                        [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 13/105) upgrading gcc-libs                        [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 14/105) upgrading db                              [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
ATTENTION DB PACKAGE:
Please consider to run db_upgrade on Berkeley DB databases with a major db version number update.
( 15/105) upgrading pam                             [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 16/105) upgrading shadow                          [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_pPCjPW/.INSTALL: line 2: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 17/105) upgrading coreutils                       [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_HlLiPT/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 18/105) installing cpio                           [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_pzBVvR/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 19/105) installing device-mapper                  [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 20/105) installing libgpg-error                   [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 21/105) upgrading findutils                       [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_VwWpxP/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
/tmp/alpm_VwWpxP/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 22/105) upgrading gzip                            [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_h7NtPN/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 23/105) upgrading texinfo                         [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_TtQwsM/.INSTALL: line 13: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 24/105) installing libgcrypt                      [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 25/105) installing popt                           [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 26/105) installing util-linux-ng                  [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_lb0oPL/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 27/105) installing e2fsprogs                      [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_XTm3HL/.INSTALL: line 7: /dev/null: No such file or directory
( 28/105) installing cryptsetup                     [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
( 29/105) installing dash                           [#########################################################################################################################################################] 100%

/dev/null exists and works both on the host system and on the new arch. We'll see if this has any impact on the end result

#25 2009-11-27 02:20:02

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Are you installing in a chroot? Did you remember to mount --bind the important /dev entries and such?

Board footer