You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-05 19:27:59

houdini

[Solved] KDEmod got censored in Ch!na. How can I install it?

Hi, I'm a archlinux user from Shanghai,China.

Today I found www.kdemod.ath.cx got censored by STUPID Ch!nese Government. So I can't install or update KDEmod using the official depository.

1. Any depository with the latest KDEmod available?
2. Or I should connect it via a proxy server(Oh ,no . It's too slow and unstable).

Any good idea? Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Updated] I installed KDEmod using the kdemod.podzone.net repo just now. Everyhing is smooth.

Thanks to funkyou and the kind guys of #archlinux IRC-channel. Thank you.

Last edited by houdini (2007-08-08 18:10:26)

#2 2007-08-05 20:08:36

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: [Solved] KDEmod got censored in Ch!na. How can I install it?

Why do the block kdemod? Perhaps its time for emigration...

#3 2007-08-05 22:57:59

nikron

houdini wrote:

Hi, I'm a archlinux user from Shanghai,China.

Today I found www.kdemod.ath.cx got censored by STUPID Ch!nese Government. So I can't install or update KDEmod using the official depository.

1. Any depository with the latest KDEmod available?
2. Or I should connect it via a proxy server(Oh ,no . It's too slow and unstable).

Any good idea? Thanks in advance.

I can post the PKGBUILD 's if you want me to.

#4 2007-08-05 23:15:25

Acid7711
Website

Yeah, I'd say grabbin the source and compiling it shouldn't be too hard to do, that's realllllly stupid that they censor that.  I guess we all take little things like that for granted over here........

#5 2007-08-06 08:35:43

Leigh

Ugh! The "g ef w" sure makes things difficult for the Ch!nese. :sigh:

gotta be careful what you type. They look for keywords. Ugh : (

It wasn't long ago they censored a large portion of the Opera website where many Ch!nese have blogs. I don't understand them censoring good communities like opera and archlinux.

houdini, If you can access mininova.org I could try and upload kdemod as a .torrent file, but it would be my first time trying to upload. I usually just download music from there. I've seen arch iso's listed on their site.

Last edited by Leigh (2007-08-06 08:48:25)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#6 2007-08-06 09:16:07

mucknert

Are you sure that it is *really* cencored or not just because of a crummy connection? If so: let's submit that to Slashdot for kicks!

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#7 2007-08-06 14:18:15

funkyou
Website

Maybe this is a longer story...

Some months ago i noticed about 320GB additional traffic on the KDEmod site that was generated by one single chinese ip address. Normally, the whole site has about 300-350GB traffic per month, and this one got us up to about 750GB... At first i thought i have been hacked or something, but after checking the logs i saw that they were generated by accesses to our repo - funnily enough with a Mozilla referrer and not libdownload as pacman does...

This confused me a bit and so i looked a bit around. There was a website with rudimentary contact information behind the mentioned ip address, and i also found out about the provider. It seems that they are providing an uncensored proxy for some money to make the "outside world" accessible to everyone in china.

I am not a pro in chinese wink, so i asked a friend to translate a polite and friendly mail for them. It was just a enquiry in which i told them about the traffic and asked them if they know about. I also asked about the possibilities for them to create a mirror and offered my help in creating one if they cant get it going. This was not a complain from my side, i was just curious about this traffic thing - maybe traffic is more expensive in china. Also a local mirror should fix their connection problems, as i noticed a lot of dropped downloads...

This mail was never answered... As i had to check my provider first about this load of traffic, i blocked the access from this one ip address to our site until things were more clear... After some time i got noticed that i have no traffic restrictions (in fact, its totally indifferent how much traffic i generate) and so i unblocked the site again...

The IP address that was blocked for some time is: 72.52.81.35
There was a website behind this ip, but it seems that it isnt available anymore...

As said, its now unblocked again, so if it was on my side then it should work again...

If you cant get it to work, just tell me. I have another server available that should not be blocked in china...

EDIT: Should be solved now... Some namespaces from dyndns.com are blocked in china. If you cant get it working through the .ath.cx domain, just use kdemod.podzone.net and modify your pacman entries to use this domain.

Last edited by funkyou (2007-08-06 16:30:22)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#8 2009-09-14 11:47:15

dukefeng

Dear Funkyou,

Both .ath.cx and kdemod.podzone.net are not working from my place in China (Hangzhou).

Very weird stuff, the official mirror of archlinux is not working in some place (my house) and working well in other places (my restaurant).

China is a pain in the arse to get a decent and stable connexion to the arch repos. If someone has any tips, i'll be happy to share a bottle of wine with him/her. And yes i tried all the local repos available in China, they are not stable.

Cheers

Dukefeng

#9 2009-09-14 12:03:22

Chrysalis

They moved to chakra-project.org a while ago.

Cant help you with mirrors, i live on the other side of the globe.

Last edited by Chrysalis (2009-09-14 12:04:56)

Board footer