You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-19 07:37:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

[kernel] -as patchset as standard

i think this is a great idea.  it seems that many of the big patchsets out there are maybe doing more harm than good and the inclusion of a set that focuses purely on security and stability updates, i think, is probably an asset to Arch.

i also think it is great for Arch to support and therefore encourage such projects  big_smile

#2 2005-01-19 08:24:00

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: [kernel] -as patchset as standard

I thought arch strove to use vanilla kernels.
Is this a subtle change in project goals?
Is arch going to have multiple kernel options for installation?

PS. does anyone know when 2.6 is going to "stabalize" a bit more? There seem to be quite a few different patchsets out there.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-01-19 15:53:10

ravster
Website

It seems pretty ok, having a kernel which is patched for stability. This might also help with using arch on servers. Though I should mention that I have never had any problems with the stock vanilla kernel. Honestly, I don't think it would make much difference, but if some tur or somebody wants to do it, sure, it would be nice.

PS: Isn't it the -ac patchset?  tongue
PPS: This might also mean that fans of other patchsets would want it like this  big_smile

#4 2005-01-20 02:02:44

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

ravster wrote:

IPS: Isn't it the -ac patchset?  tongue
PPS: This might also mean that fans of other patchsets would want it like this  big_smile

No, it's the -as patchset.  Read the announcement.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2005-01-20 04:17:58

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

and you could read this as well:

Andres Salomon announced a new kernel patchset focused on security and obvious bugfixes. He explained, "I'm announcing a new kernel tree; -as. The goal of this tree is to form a stable base for vendors/distributors to use for their kernels. In order to do this, I intend to include only security fixes and obvious bugfixes, from various sources. I do not intend to include driver updates, large subsystem fixes, cleanups, and so on. Basically, this is what I'd want 2.6.10.1 to contain."

Andres notes that the new patchset will be used by Debian, whose upcoming sarge release will have a 2.6.8 kernel patched with the -as patchset. He explains, "my plan is to include security fixes for a kernel or two behind what is the latest. Currently, I'm supporting (for Debian) 2.6.8 through 2.6.10. Of course, normally I wouldn't support 2.6.8 for this long, but since sarge will (hopefully?) be releasing someday, and this is the kernel chosen for it, I must continue support." He went on to note that for the older kernels he plans to primarily focus on security fixes, not small bugfixes.

More, responses and comments here http://kerneltrap.org/node/4545

clearly it's sudden introduction is due to it's sudden availability!

#6 2005-01-21 02:46:41

ravster
Website

Heh, sorry about that :oops:
Read the kerneltrap article about half an hour after posting. I'd never heard of this one.
With the patches being only for security and bugfixes, this would make it even more of a good point for servers.
/me re-apologizes for his boo-boo  :twisted:

Board footer