You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-15 00:43:14

Verve87

[SOLVED]User bash logins aren't sourcing correctly

User accounts on my arch install don't source /etc/profile (and by extension, /etc/profile.bash, /etc/profile.d/*) or ~/.bash_profile.

Even if I specify "source /etc/profile" in my ~/.bashrc (~/.bashrc is the only bash file that seems to be functioning correctly on my user accounts), it doesn't source /etc/profile.bash, even though it's specified in /etc/profile.

My root account works perfectly. I've tried replicating the behavior on my root account by copying /etc/skel/.bash* (which are the ones on my user account, since I haven't changed them) to /root, and root logins still source the files that they should, unlike user logins.

I've tried making a new user and this still happens.

Help?

Also, I'd like to move all bash files in ~/ to ~/.bash/, and all bash files in /etc to /etc/bash. man bash doesn't tell me where arch sets bash arguments/options for logins. Where can I find this file to make it source the files I want it to for logins?

And does /etc/bash_profile get sourced for non-interactive logins/login prompts as well?

edit: When I set urxvt to act as a login shel, ~/.bash_profile gets sourced. /etc/profile* still don't.

This is more of a cheap fix than a solution, since that setting makes urxvt show the prompt significantly slower. Besides that, the problem has to reside elsewhere. Root logins work perfectly both in vc and urxvt (no matter how I set up urxvt).

Last edited by Verve87 (2009-09-17 02:34:22)

Board footer