You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-14 11:25:35

s26c.sayan
Website

Yagoburn: Yet Another Gui Optical Burner

I really used to like the interface of Graveman (http://graveman.tuxfamily.org), which is now discontinued.
Here's my effort in wxpython to emulate its looks and functionalities:

http://code.google.com/p/yagoburn/

Yagoburn is just a GUI wrapper around the cdrkit and dvd+rw tools. It has not been tested exhaustively (my hardware are giving all sorts of problems sad), so bug reports would be most welcome!

Last edited by s26c.sayan (2010-01-08 18:47:03)

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#2 2009-09-14 23:29:14

bslagowski

Re: Yagoburn: Yet Another Gui Optical Burner

Could you create a PKGBUILD and upload it to the AUR?

#3 2009-09-14 23:36:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

bslagowski, it's possible he could, but so could you. If you haven't done it before, this is your chance. smile

#4 2009-09-14 23:40:41

Mardoct

Unless somebody with existant experience wants to do it, I will try to make a pkgbuild for it.

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#5 2009-09-15 01:12:19

Mardoct

Ok, I seeing as this doesn't really install in the regular sense - you just execute a python script in the source - I think this is all you really need to install it.

#!/bin/bash
mkdir ~/.yagoburn
cd ~/.yagoburn
wget http://yagoburn.googlecode.com/files/yagoburn-1.0-BETA.tar.gz
tar -xf yagoburn-1.0-BETA.tar.gz
rm yagoburn-1.0-BETA.tar.gz
echo alias yagoburn="cd ~/.yagoburn/yagoburn && ./yagoburn.py"  >> ~/.bashrc

and you can run it with 'yagoburn' from the CLI or add 'cd ~/.yagoburn/yagoburn && ./yagoburn.py' to a menu config.

Last edited by Mardoct (2009-09-15 01:20:12)

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#6 2009-09-15 01:47:17

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

pkgname=yagoburn
pkgver=1.0beta
_srcver=1.0-BETA
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Yet another GUI optical burner"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://yagoburn.googlecode.com"
license=('GPL')
depends=('wxpython>=2.8.1','python>=2.6.2','cdrkit','dvd+rw-tools')
optdepends=('libnotify: for using notify-send to show desktop notifications on success/failure')
source="http://yagoburn.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${_srcver}.tar.gz"

build() {
  cd ${startdir}/src/${pkgname}
  install -D -m 755 yagoburn.py ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/yagoburn
  install -dm 755 ${startdir}/pkg/usr/{lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn,share/doc/${pkgname}}
  install -m 644 {customwidgets.py,functions.py,functions.pyc} ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn/
  install -m 644 {COPYING,README,VERSION} ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/doc/${pkgname}
}

Probably missing some bits and pieces, but hey - it's not difficult. You can just take any PKGBUILD and adapt it. If it's working (I checked other python packages to see how they handle the pyc stuff etc. and it all seems to go in /usr/lib/python/) that's great, if not someone will have to fix it, but the basics are there. Feel free to put in the AUR.

To the author: I do not think it is very smart to label your first release a 1.0 beta wink. But that's just me tongue.

Edit 14/9 14:03: PKGBUILD has been adapted as per the author's remarks

Last edited by B (2009-09-15 12:03:59)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2009-09-15 04:45:03

bslagowski

Thanks B. I'll try yours later.

s26c.sayan, I burned an ISO using your tool shortly after my post. It appeared to burn correctly, but I haven't actually had time to test it. One issue I did notice, was when I tried to select the ISO image (using the Other Operations -> Burn ISO file chooser) I couldn't. I was able to browse to the image and double click OR hit the "open" button but it didn't fill in the path. Typing it by hand worked fine. The only error that came up was:

(python:7594): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display: assertion `atom != GDK_NONE' failed

Tomk, I would be willing to try (and have in the past) but didn't know how to deal with the "python script" thing. I've only fiddled with pretty standard configure, make, make install type deals before. Learning slowly though, and thanks to B I have a solid example for the future.

#8 2009-09-15 05:17:19

bslagowski

Tried B's build and couldn't get it to work. It looked like some sort of error related to the script not being able to find the functions module.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yagoburn.py", line 25, in <module>
    import functions as fun
ImportError: No module named functions

My updated version of his PKGBUILD:

pkgname=yagoburn
pkgver=1.0beta
_srcver=1.0-BETA
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Yet another GUI optical burner"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://yagoburn.googlecode.com"
license=('GPL')
depends=('wxpython')
source="http://yagoburn.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${_srcver}.tar.gz"
md5sums=('f0a2d31240408c6f7f30a10c3f4afa47')

build() {
#  install -D -m 755 yagoburn.py ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/yagoburn.py
  install -dm 755 ${startdir}/pkg/usr/{lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn,share/doc/${pkgname}}
  install -m 644 {yagoburn.py,customwidgets.py,functions.py,functions.pyc} ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn/
  install -m 644 {COPYING,README,VERSION} ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/doc/${pkgname}
  install -D -m 755 ${startdir}/yagoburn ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/yagoburn
}

Last edited by bslagowski (2009-09-15 05:17:40)

#9 2009-09-15 08:00:51

s26c.sayan
Website

Thank you all for your interests in Yagoburn.

bslagowski wrote:

One issue I did notice, was when I tried to select the ISO image (using the Other Operations -> Burn ISO file chooser) I couldn't. I was able to browse to the image and double click OR hit the "open" button but it didn't fill in the path.

Thanks for pointing it out.
I've corrected it in svn; please checkout (if you have subversion) using :

svn checkout http://yagoburn.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ yagoburn-read-only

Otherwise, just replace your local files yagoburn.py and functions.py with this and this

B wrote:

To the author: I do not think it is very smart to label your first release a 1.0 beta wink. But that's just me tongue.

Hehe...perhaps 0.1-b would have been better, right? /me is always at a loss when choosing a software versioning scheme!

About the PKGBUILD-s, the 'depends' line in bslagowski's version above should be

depends=('wxpython>=2.8.1','python>=2.6.2','cdrkit','dvd+rw-tools')
optdepends=('libnotify: for using notify-send to show desktop notifications on success/failure')

And I am not too sure about the arch=x86_64 bit!

I would have created a PKGBUILD and uploaded to AUR myself, but I do not have the pleasure of using an Arch system right now to test-build packages! sad

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)

#10 2009-09-15 11:57:34

Forum Fellow
Website

bslagowski wrote:

Tried B's build and couldn't get it to work. It looked like some sort of error related to the script not being able to find the functions module.

build() {
#  install -D -m 755 yagoburn.py ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/yagoburn.py
  install -m 644 {yagoburn.py,customwidgets.py,functions.py,functions.pyc} ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn/
  install -D -m 755 ${startdir}/yagoburn ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/yagoburn
}

Sorry, but did you test this? The first line installs the script to usr/bin (it should be yagoburn at the end, not yagoburn.py, I'll modify it). There's nothing wrong with that; that's how it should be done, in fact.

The last line you added does nothing more than dumping the whole directory into usr/bin/yagoburn - something that is simply impossible with install. Install handles files, not directories. Furthermore, you would be dumping a whole dir (!) into usr/bin, which is simply not done. Don't take this the wrong way but I have the impression you don't really understand what's going on in the PKGBUILD.

As I said, i'm not a python expert, but this code should be able to work with the standard directories python stuff uses, so I suggest the author fixes that before it be put in the AUR. You can't just throw everything into a /usr/bin subdir, that's not how it works. If I look at sonata for example, it puts all that stuff in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sonata/.

Edit: I asked around a bit, if you add this on top:

import sys
sys.path.append("/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn")

it will work, albeit a bit filthy.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#11 2009-09-15 15:22:42

wantilles

s26c.sayan wrote:

I really used to like the interface of Graveman (http://graveman.tuxfamily.org), which is now discontinued.
Here's my effort in wxpython to emulate its looks and functionalities:

http://yagoburn.co.cc [redirects to Google code project page]

Yagoburn is just a GUI wrapper around the cdrkit and dvd+rw tools. It has not been tested exhaustively (my hardware are giving all sorts of problems sad), so bug reports would be most welcome!

What more does it have to offer than - the already for many above excellent - k3b? (*)

(*) I use Gnome as a DE.

#12 2009-09-15 15:50:30

s26c.sayan
Website

Ok, here is my version of the PKGBUILD.
Not sure if fully adheres to the packaging standards though, esp. since I am not using an Arch system to test-build!

All it does is copy all the three python source files to /usr/share/yagoburn and the docs to /usr/share/doc/yagoburn. It also adds an executable script to /usr/bin which simply contains "cd /usr/share/yagoburn && python yagoburn.py".
This way, copying the 'library' files to the python site-packages directory is not required.

#13 2009-09-15 15:59:11

s26c.sayan
Website

wantilles wrote:

What more does it have to offer than - the already for many above excellent - k3b? (*)

It doesn't have anything more to offer than K3b, which I fully agree is an excellent app indeed.
But k3b requires a whole lot of KDE/QT dependencies, and it certainly doesn't blend very well with a pure GTK environment. In fact, all popular cd burner applications (k3b, gnomebaker, brasero, xfburn) uses heavy DE dependencies from one or the other of the popular DE-s(kde, gnome, xfce).

This was the thing which was in my mind when I started to work on yagoburn last week : to be a replacement for Graveman, which didn't use any DE deps.

Of course, there's Recorder (that's the app I personally use), but Yagoburn was meant to look more like a mainstream burner than it!

#14 2009-09-16 00:13:36

bslagowski

B wrote:

Sorry, but did you test this? The first line installs the script to usr/bin (it should be yagoburn at the end, not yagoburn.py, I'll modify it). There's nothing wrong with that; that's how it should be done, in fact.

The last line you added does nothing more than dumping the whole directory into usr/bin/yagoburn - something that is simply impossible with install. Install handles files, not directories. Furthermore, you would be dumping a whole dir (!) into usr/bin, which is simply not done. Don't take this the wrong way but I have the impression you don't really understand what's going on in the PKGBUILD.

As I said, i'm not a python expert, but this code should be able to work with the standard directories python stuff uses, so I suggest the author fixes that before it be put in the AUR. You can't just throw everything into a /usr/bin subdir, that's not how it works. If I look at sonata for example, it puts all that stuff in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sonata/.

Edit: I asked around a bit, if you add this on top:

import sys
sys.path.append("/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn")

it will work, albeit a bit filthy.

Whoops. I did forget a few things in my post that would have clarified a lot. I added a bash script into the package called "yagoburn" which is what is being put into /usr/bin, not the whole yagoburn directory. The "script" I created basically does what you did, updates the PYTHONPATH variable and then runs the yagoburn.py

#!/bin/bash
PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yagoburn:$PYTHONPATH python2.6 yagoburn.py shell

Obviously that's not the proper way to handle this...though now that I look at sayan's PKGBUILD it's essentially what he did.

Last edited by bslagowski (2009-09-16 00:18:22)

#15 2009-09-16 00:45:53

Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, I missed that bit smile. Sorry!

I'm still intrigued how e.g. sonata does it though, in the main python script I couldn't find any path setting references (at least nothing a quick find would yield...).

#16 2009-09-16 10:50:12

s26c.sayan
Website

B wrote:

Ok, I missed that bit smile. Sorry!

I'm still intrigued how e.g. sonata does it though, in the main python script I couldn't find any path setting references (at least nothing a quick find would yield...).

Perhaps reading this thread with throw some light : http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread192000.html

The __init.py__ mechanism! Note that /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages is already in PYTHONPATH.

BTW, can someone please test my PKGBUILD and advice /me if it adheres enough with the packaging guidelines, so that I can perhaps put it up on AUR (that'd be my first AUR package!)?

#17 2009-09-16 11:45:19

Army

Just to inform you, we prefer ${pkgdir} over ${startdir}/pkg and ${srcdir} over ${startdir}/src

#18 2009-10-30 17:09:15

ApotheoZ

I do not find yagoburn with pacman.
Is the package still alive ?

#19 2009-10-30 17:56:45

s26c.sayan
Website

ApotheoZ wrote:

I do not find yagoburn with pacman.

That's because it is not in the official repos!
You need to build it yourself. The provided PKGBUILD at the site might help.

#20 2009-10-31 23:32:49

anonymous_user

1. Does this have a verify feature?

2. Why not upload this to AUR?

#21 2009-11-19 14:43:11

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

@s26c.sayan: Is this project still active?

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#22 2009-11-19 14:48:26

s26c.sayan
Website

Ghost1227 wrote:

@s26c.sayan: Is this project still active?

Yes sir! No new features added though, but that can be fixed depending on user requests!

#23 2009-11-19 14:49:03

s26c.sayan
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

1. Does this have a verify feature?

Not yet, but maybe soon.

#24 2012-01-27 21:47:04

kwevej

Hi, I am missing a *desktop from the package. Otherwise thanks for the proggy.

#25 2012-01-27 21:52:23

Army

This comment will be better placed into the comment section of the AUR package. Who knows if the packer reads this?

Board footer