You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-15 01:58:14

Ilya

ck-launch-session - what is it?

Can't find any documentation on ck-launch-session.

I need to use shutdown/poweroff functionality in Xfce. Previous solution was to permit group "users" to run /usr/lib/xfce4/xfsm-shutdown-helper via sudo. It's clear and simple to understand.
This doesn't work anymore. New solution is o use "ck-launch-session". It's part of "consolekit", no man, no "-h", "-help" or "--help" options available. It's just works...

Before using strange solution, I want to know what is it and how it works. Can somebody explain in general?

#2 2009-09-15 02:15:54

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: ck-launch-session - what is it?

It starts the ConsoleKit daemon which is used for per-user settings for things like auto-mounting and session management. The description from the official site is only useful if you know what it does already. From (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit):

ConsoleKit is a framework for defining and tracking users, login sessions, and seats.

You may have noticed in htop that it's spawning a lot of itself. Those are threads and not processes. They can safely annoy you until you reconfigure htop.

#3 2009-09-15 02:22:00

LeoSolaris

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63610

Post #4

Edit: Skottish beat me to it.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2009-09-15 02:22:38)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#4 2009-09-15 17:49:00

Ilya

skottish wrote:

It starts the ConsoleKit daemon which is used for per-user settings for things like auto-mounting and session management...

Ok, ConsoleKit is some kind of session manager. (Xfce has its own session manager. Why I need another one? Oh, forget it, doesn't matter...)

With sudo it was so clear, with Consolekit - no.
sudo-way:
%users ALL=NOPASSWD:/sbin/reboot

consolekit-way:
...just run ck-launch-session

Where is its settings? Where can I see, that user in group "power" have permission to reboot/poweroff? How can I be sure that user from "power" can't dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (yes, stupid example) with ck-launch-session? Without any sane documentation Consolekit confuses my brain. Please, help me to understand why I need it and why sudo-way was worse.

#5 2009-09-15 20:58:00

Ilya

Actually, nobody knows why we need Consolekit yikes

Consolekit documentation:

Defining the Problem
To be written.

Last edited by Ilya (2009-09-15 21:12:50)

#6 2009-10-16 08:49:28

jedbrown

I have a problem which I think is caused by ConsoleKit.

With SLIM starting XFCE, suspend works just fine, but it fails when SLIM starts Gnome directly (fails silently in the gui, pm-suspend still works).  If Gnome is started by GDM or by SLIM + ck-launch-session, then suspend works, but it reconfigures the layout and flushes my xmodmap.  I want Dvorak and that is set in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi which works fine with SLIM + anything as long as ck-launch-session is not involved (Gnome keyboard settings are set to use evdev configuration).  With ck-launch-session, the keyboard is reset when I og in an when I restore from suspend.  How do I make CK or whatever is responsible for this evil behavior just not muck around with the keyboard?  Note that GDM has already reset the keyboard at it's login screen where as SLIM does not mess with the Xorg/evdev config.

Board footer