You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-17 03:05:33

Haptic

[SOLVED]Downloading/Installing files from outside database

I would've posted this in the Pacman section, but I felt this wasn't a worthy enough question.

Anyway, how do you download/install files outside of the database?  Also, do those files have to be in the tar.gz type?

And a slightly off-topic question: How do you find the names of packages?

Last edited by Haptic (2009-09-18 00:40:37)

#2 2009-09-17 03:22:47

Stromblad

Re: [SOLVED]Downloading/Installing files from outside database

Im not sure what you mean by "outside" but I am guess that you mean from the aur data base
Its simple really
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt
this will explain how to install yaourt, then when you want to find packages in the aur database, you can use it in a pacman-like fashion

yaourt "your package" to seach for a specific package
yaourt -S "your package" to download

#3 2009-09-17 04:10:22

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Downloading/Installing files from outside database

If by "outside of the database" you mean anything that has not been packaged for pacman then you should get/create a PKGBUILD for it and then build the package with makepkg. The AUR contains PKGBUILDs that have been contributed by other users but which are not available as binary packages. You should normally check there before trying to create your own PKGBUILD. If you do create one, you should upload it to the AUR for others to use.

As Stromblad pointed out, you can also use yaourt to automate installation from the AUR but I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with manual installation first.

As for your other question, you can search for packages with "pacman -Ss <search term>". Take a look at "man pacman" to learn more about what you can do with pacman.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-09-17 04:10:48)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer