You are not logged in.

#26 2009-09-19 14:50:36

dawn

Re: zathura - a PDF viewer

I've always wanted such a program. I like it so far, but it has the following annoying behaviour:

When I open a file or press "i" for best fit, the window gets big enough to show the document in full height. As a consequence a (big) part of the window is off-screen, along with the status bar. (My window manager is dwm)

Would it be possible to not forcibly resize the window height ?

#27 2009-09-19 15:31:46

neldoreth

Hello,

dawn wrote:

When I open a file or press "i" for best fit, the window gets big enough to show the document in full height. As a consequence a (big) part of the window is off-screen, along with the status bar. (My window manager is dwm)

As I mentioned before, you should enable scrollbars in the config.h; but this should not happened as long you are not in a floated environment.

Best regards

pwmt.org : programs with movie titles

#28 2009-09-19 15:48:22

brisbin33
Website

hey great app! fits right in with uzbl et all in my xmonad environment.  i'm afraid my c is nonexistent, i'd like to add gg and G to go to top/bottom of page.  i can figure out G but how do i do gg in config.h?

and if i could make a suggestion? taking an xmonad-esque approach, let zathura look for a ~/.zathura/config.h (or better, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/zathura/config.h) before building with the packaged config.h.  then it's easy to keep a traditional 'config file' without rewriting much of the app.  sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, it's just a thought; i have no problems doing things the way it is now smile

#29 2009-09-19 15:52:14

dawn

neldoreth, thank you for you reply and sorry for not paying attention.

neldoreth wrote:

As I mentioned before, you should enable scrollbars in the config.h; but this should not happened as long you are not in a floated environment.

That's the thing, I was in tiled mode. Maybe the problem is in dwm because I'm not using the latest version. I'll look into it.

EDIT: No it's not dwm's fault. It looks like it depends on the documents I open. Some are displayed correctly, others are not.

Last edited by dawn (2009-09-19 16:05:28)

#30 2009-09-19 15:52:43

firecat53
Website

I tried apvlv a while ago, and while it worked ok, it seemed to be missing a lot of functionality that zathura has already in the .01 release smile And apvlv crashed a few times.  When you get the copy/paste functionality added, I do believe I can say byebye to evince! 

Great work!
Scott

#31 2009-09-19 16:19:37

Falstaff

Which keybindings to hide/show the input bar?

#32 2009-09-19 16:32:16

lolilolicon

Ctrl-m

It's all in config.h

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#33 2009-09-19 16:36:34

Falstaff

Didn't thought about looking there. Thanks.

#34 2009-09-19 16:42:32

neldoreth

Hello,

dawn
Ok, that is strange. can you please send me one of those pdfs per email or a link to them, so that I can check that out?

brisbin33
I am afraid that you can't do that right now, brisbin, but I will write that down. I was anyway thinking about an "1242" + G command
to switch the page, instead of the goto command, with that I guess it will be feasible to realise the "gg" too and I sure will take a look
at the ~/../config.h

Falstaff
It's Ctrl+m, but you can change that also in the config.h

Best regards

Last edited by neldoreth (2009-09-19 16:42:51)

#35 2009-09-19 17:20:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums neldoreth.

This is very nice so far. I've been looking for a replacement for Evince for quite a while and this may be it.

I didn't notice if this got mentioned in the thread yet, but having a table of contents would be great. Something similar to what apvlv has on start up, but can be toggled on and off.

#36 2009-09-20 00:43:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

skottish wrote:

Welcome to the forums neldoreth.

This is very nice so far. I've been looking for a replacement for Evince for quite a while and this may be it.

I didn't notice if this got mentioned in the thread yet, but having a table of contents would be great. Something similar to what apvlv has on start up, but can be toggled on and off.

+1 to all of the above

Will you add continuous and dual page layouts as well? I expect that dual wouldn't be too difficult but I wonder if continuous would be a problem. I hope not though.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#37 2009-09-20 05:07:41

lolilolicon

How about bookmarks? And of course the open-up-at-where-I-was request as mentioned before.

Bookmarks can be displayed where table of contents are displayed. Just like history/bookmarks sidebar in firefox.

I'd also like the bookmark shortcuts to be vimperator-style. 'A' toggles bookmarking current position. And bookmarks should be sorted in a simple tree structure with 2 levels of nodes, a book level and a page level.

Another thing is about the links. Is it because of the gtk2 version (mine=2.16.5)? I don't seem find the "links" command working properly. I guess it's supposed to display all the links found on the page organized in the popup list where one can select and go, but all I see is a blank white area with "11 links found" at the bottom line.

#38 2009-09-20 06:48:27

kakabaratruskia

Hey, arch is becoming the nest of some great linux apps these days!! keep up the good work!

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#39 2009-09-20 14:42:10

neldoreth

Hello,

Thats a good idea, so it is now in the git repository. In general it is working, but it has some issues concerning the space it needs, what I will check later on.

Will you add continuous and dual page layouts as well? I expect that dual wouldn't be too difficult but I wonder if continuous would be a problem. I hope not though.

I will think about that, but it wont be top priority on my side, because it would have to do more changes in the code.

How about bookmarks? And of course the open-up-at-where-I-was request as mentioned before.

Ok, I will think about an way to do that in the next days.

Another thing is about the links. Is it because of the gtk2 version (mine=2.16.5)? I don't seem find the "links" command working properly. I guess it's supposed to display all the links found on the page organized in the popup list where one can select and go, but all I see is a blank white area with "11 links found" at the bottom line.

Which version are you using?

Best regards

#40 2009-09-20 14:53:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

Sweet neldoreth! The table of contents is a good start. One thing that you may want to consider is instead of having it open up as a side bar, just have it open as it's own page (replacing the current view). That way you don't need to be concerned about allocating any more screen space.

#41 2009-09-20 16:42:00

lolilolicon

neldoreth wrote:

Which version are you using?

I'm using the git version. Now trying a fresh git build but the issue remains. Also I find that if I press <ctrl>-i twice after starting up zathura, then issue the ":links" command, the index sidebar appears automatically.

About the index bar:
I find if I bring up the table of contents by pressing <ctrl>-i, I need to press left arrow key to activate the index area in order to select from the nodes. In order to expand a node, I have to press '+' (which is <shift> + '='), while I expected it to be right arrow key.(the same with left arrow key instead of '-'). In order to get back to "normal mode", I have to hit <tab> so that commands work again. Uh of course, I'd like to be able to jump to the selected node by hitting <Enter>. smile

That is a good idea skottish! Same suggestion for the bookmarks view then! But I'd also like to have the traditional sidebar as an option, since sometimes I'd like to jump between nodes back and forth quickly just to find something...

#42 2009-09-22 11:49:51

ilembitov

Great project, I like it very much! Looks like it is the same thing in comparison with apvlv like surf is for uzbl: more lightweight and smaller in size of source code. Did you consider proposing your project to be merged with the suckless.org project? I think you follow pretty much the same ideology.

#43 2009-09-22 11:56:55

ilembitov

And yes, Archlinux has really became a place for many new and interesting projects. The only thing so far I wish to be developed is a C+Ncurses (or C+GTK, doesn't really matter) lightweight distractionless (meaning, no toolbars or menus whatsoever, just a statusbar) (and preferably desktop-agnostic) word processor with RTF support (probably a WordPerfect 5.x/6.x for DOS clone, so may be a wpf support is also a good thing, since it is supported by nearly all modern word processors) - with proper keybindings (not necessarily VI-like).

#44 2009-09-23 04:02:48

manx

A fab app! Thanks neldoreth.

#45 2009-09-23 17:46:36

Skoll

Nice app. I've been searching for a pdf viewer like this one for some time.

#46 2009-09-23 18:41:39

kgas

Simple application. Thanks.
In my openbox set up PgDn/up keys and scroll keys (h,j,k etc) did not work. The command window is not visible if zoom to higher sizes. (xpdf keeps the bottom bar)

#47 2009-09-23 20:13:08

jt512

I can't find the config.h file.  Where is it supposed to be?

Jay

#48 2009-09-23 22:34:49

Barrucadu
Website

jt512 wrote:

I can't find the config.h file.  Where is it supposed to be?

Jay

When you compile it, in the same directory as the source code.

#49 2009-09-24 01:20:29

jt512

OK, found conf.h.

I'm having one problem.  If I type `zathura &` at the command line, and then use the :open command in zathura to open a .pdf file, the index bar shows that the file has opened, but the file doesn't appear on the screen.  Then, if I hit Ctl-0, the file becomes visible and I get the following error in the console:

(zathura:2961): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion `width >= -1' failed.

If I open additional files before quitting zathura, the files open ok.

The problem does not occur if I open a file by typing `zathura my-file.pdf &`, or if I open a file from within firefox.

Jay

#50 2009-09-24 03:46:24

antenna

Great app indeed, thank you.   

The only additions I would like would be a continuous page layout option and path completion for open, but I see these were mentioned so I'm just being redundant. smile

Board footer