You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 03:34:28

bobland

[Solved] Reboot Fails

I've tried this 3 times using the Beginners Guide, which appears to be straight forward.  I run through the entire setup with no errors.  When I reboot, I get this message:

Booting 'Arch Linux'
root (hd2,0)
Filesystem type ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid... ro

Error 15: File not found

Disk is brand new 350gb SATA.  Am not getting any r/w errors.
Formatted last time using auto.
Noticed that fstab did not use uuid, not did I change it to uuid.

Since I can't boot the system, I don't know how to fix it other then starting all over.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
bobland

Last edited by bobland (2009-09-22 16:43:22)

#2 2009-09-20 10:02:13

codl

Re: [Solved] Reboot Fails

When you see

Booting grub...
Press [esc] to show the menu...

then go ahead and do so to open grub's menu. Then, press [c] to go to command line mode and type

find /vmlinuz26

If it returns someting else than (hd2,0), then your grub config file isn't searching your /boot partition at the right place. If it doesn't return anything then try

find /boot/vmlinuz26

You can repair it editing the entry in the grub menu, then when you are booted successfully you will be able to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file

#3 2009-09-20 12:02:49

bobland

Both vmlinuz26 and kernel26.img are found on (hd0,0) not (hd2,0).   The files found on (hd0,0) belong to ubuntu.  I'm assuming that they do not exist in Arch.  I'll try the install again and look out for these files.

#4 2009-09-20 16:38:41

bobland

Turns out that grub was pointing to the wrong drive/partition/whatever.  I changed (hd2,0) to (hd0,0) and Arch came up with no problem.  Nasty kind of bug for the easily distracted (me).

Only other issue was using startx to test X.  Under root, I got 3 screens and the clock.  Under non-root-user I got the white screen.  Initially, I didn't move my mouse far enough to cover the screen so I kept thinking the screen was frozen.  Evenually, I had the "doh" moment and realized that everything was working.

I was very impressed that the installer found my exact card (GeForce 8400) and monitor (Samsum SyncMaster) and configured it all when xfce4 came up.  Am now running Arch.

More questions will follow.

Great product!
Burt

Board footer