You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-16 20:39:48

Sharpeee

MPlayer crash when using hwac3

Whenever I play a file with DTS or AC3 sound, MPlayer crashes if I tell it to pass the audio directly through to my receiver. I used to play any file with the command 'mplayer -afm hwac3, filename', but that doesn't work anymore. MPlayer gives me the following output:

Warning unknown option direct at line 8
MPlayer SVN-r29684-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
141 audio & 302 video codecs
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing diatonis_dts_secret-universe.wav.
Audio only file format detected.
==========================================================================
Trying to force audio codec driver family hwac3...
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to DTS, 1411200 bps, 44100 Hz
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm: hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
[AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
[format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported 
Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!
Video: no video
Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_audio
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

I have tried following the instructions from this (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79119) thread, but without any luck. I'm using OSS v.4.2 (from community) on x86_64 and have never had any problems with this until a couple of month ago (I just haven't gotten around to fixing it until now).

MPlayer gives this output when I don't use the '-afm hwac3,' flag:

Warning unknown option direct at line 8
MPlayer SVN-r29684-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
141 audio & 302 video codecs
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing diatonis_dts_secret-universe.wav.
Audio only file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [libdca] DTS decoding with libdca
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [dts] afm: libdca (DTS-libdca)
AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  12.3 (12.2) of 407.0 (06:47.0)  3.3% 
Exiting... (Quit)

It should be noted, that when I play a file that doesn't have a DTS or AC3 sound stream, MPlayer works just fine with 'mplayer -afm hwac3, filename'.

#2 2009-09-17 00:16:43

toxygen

Re: MPlayer crash when using hwac3

I've had no success with OSS 4.x and ac3 passthrough on mplayer.  even disabling vmix does nothing.  kaffeine plays ac3 fine (with vmix off) and sends the signal to my receiver.  but mplayer does not, and i've looked through the mplayer mail lists and searched, and so on.  i dont think this will be fixed anytime soon.  maybe another user will have tips or information on how to get it working, but i did ask before and no one has responded.
see my post here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65393

I see a patch listed on the link you posted, i'll see what that's all about when i get home.  if you disable "ac3 passthrough" for mplayer (i use smplayer so it's a checkbox, i think in command line mplayer you just dont put the line -afm hwac3) it should use a52 (software) decoding, which works fine for me, but i still want ac3/dts passthrough (DTS doesnt work on mplayer passthrough either for me).

Last edited by toxygen (2009-09-17 00:17:07)

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2009-09-17 00:55:34

Sharpeee

Well the weird thing is that this problem started THIS year! I can dual boot into Ubuntu 9.04, and the MPlayer version there works just fine, so it is something that has changed in the SVN version.

I know my DTS/AC3 passthrough works, as I can do a 'ossplay -R filename' and get correct passthrough (tested with the same file as in my first post) and xine also works just fine with passthrough, the menus don't though, but that's another story. The reason I'm not just using xine is because I find MPlayer better at decoding x264 content (it might just be a subjective opinion) and the fact that I just purchased a vdpau compatible videocard, which I don't think xine is capable of?

#4 2009-09-17 01:50:30

toxygen

what sound card/device do you have? and were you using OSS in Ubuntu as well? I've not been able to get passthrough for ac3/dts on smplayer at all, mplayer command line works and only with vmix off, but even then it's iffy.  are you only using command line mplayer? all other sounds go through passthrough just fine, vmix on or off.  only the ac3/dts encoded ones fail.

if you have an nvidia card mplayer is much better at decoding x264 with VDPAU, though for me it looks similar in xine, but cpu wise it's much more efficient.  xine-lib has no built-in VDPAU, but it is being worked on.  i tried the xine-lib-vdpau (and -git) packages from aur but i couldnt get video to play.

[edit]
i also get this error message from what you posted above:
[AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
[format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!

it's weird that it was working for you before.  have you tried removing/reinstalling OSS, or building oss-mercurial from aur?

Last edited by toxygen (2009-09-17 01:55:14)

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#5 2009-09-17 11:07:55

Sharpeee

I have a nVidia NF4 chipset with onboard soundcard where I'm using the S/PDIF output.

In Ubuntu I used the latest OSS as well, but it also worked with Alsa, until it broke for some reason. I don't know the vmix you are talking about, I don't and have never used it. It usually works out of the box, which is also does now, except MPlayer. I am positive that this is a MPlayer problem and has nothing to do with OSS.

I get the same output, but I have always had that even on Ubuntu where it worked! This is kind of an old bug I think, because when I first tried Arch on this machine, I had the same problem. This was at least 6 month ago, and at that time Arch was using the SVN version of MPlayer where Ubuntu was using an older version.

#6 2009-09-20 20:20:12

Sharpeee

So I just did some testing and downgraded my MPlayer version to 1.0rc2-10 (from old Arch repo) and now the sound works fine again.

As I have just bought a VDPAU compatible graphics card, I really would like to get this working, so I tried to compile the earliest version nVidia patched (version 3076399 from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/). MPlayer compiles just fine, but crashes with the same sound problem, so I guess there is some sort of change in ALL MPlayer SVN versions, that breaks my sound.

Does anybody know if it is possible to compile MPlayer 1.0rc2 with VDPAU support?

Last edited by Sharpeee (2009-09-20 20:20:47)

Board footer